November 7, 2018

How We Got 400 Free Beta Testers

1. 3

Great advice!

Did you do all of these concurrently? One at a time? Based on your time put in versus quality of beta feedback, how would you focus your efforts if you were to do it over again?

1. 1

Good questions.

Some were done concurrently while others were done one at a time.

For example, Quora, guest posting and blogging were all done concurrently (still doing it) while betabound giveaways and a few other things were one off.

Doing it over again, I’d cut out betabound giveaways and SaaS directories. The time invested wasn’t worth it for us. That’s not to say it didn’t bring any users, we would’ve just gotten more if we spent that time elsewhere.

I’d ramp up blogging and guest posting while spending more time on Quora.

2. 2

Very very nice write up. Seriously cool. Thanks

1. 1

Don’t mention it. Glad you found it useful.

2. 1

This comment was deleted 12 days ago.

3. 2

Informative post, thanks for sharing.

4. 2

Nice write-up Daniel, thanks for sharing that!

1. 1

You’re welcome! It was fun to write.

5. 1

Wowzer! Great hustle! Thanks for the excellent post. Yeah, the nature of building a product is certainly crazy but exciting. I'm reaching my 100th beta user (95 as of tonight). I'm averaging about 7-12% growth week to week but I do get some weeks where's it 0%. In addition to speaking directly with customers, I've been grinding a little on Reddit and FB. I've also tried Betabound and gotten about 10 signups. I never heard back from BetaList. I'm on PH but will locate a hunter upcoming weeks for a December. (B-day present or nightmare). Keep pushing! I got some great ideas from your post. Thanks!

1. 1

I know the feeling. There was a time when we’d get zero growth as well. Now that a bit of search traffic has kicked in. We’re getting at least one sign up a day.

I also want to start focusing on the organic side of Facebook but don’t want to be a spammer, don’t have the resources to adequately maintain a group, and know the organically reach of pages is dead.

How have you been doing FB?

1. 1

I don’t want to be a spammer as well. I’m currently identifying groups and pages to start promoting relevant posts. I received some users through FB ads but that was limited testing. Still working on marketing and value proposition through interviewing and getting users from Reddit, local meetups and Face-to-face sign ups.

6. 1

Hey Daniel - Awesome work! People greatly undervalue what a blog can do for your business.

We're going through a similar process right now at PostPilot. I'm actually creating a list of tech companies that used content marketing / blogging to grow their company and doing interviews and blog write-ups on them.

Would you be open to chatting sometime and we'll cover your story?

1. 1

Definitely,

That sounds like fun.

Shoot me an email (bio) when you'd like to connect.

7. 1

Alright man.

An honest and transparent article, good work.

It was also very easy to read due to the lack of interruptions by CTA's.

Nice one, Ace.

1. 1

Haha, don’t you like the being interrupted with an oddly placed call to action every 200 words?

Strange..:)

8. 1

Sincere thanks for sharing. May good karma come your way! :D

1. 1

Haha, I appreciate that!

9. 1

Great write up! Would've been useful to have a small overview/list of the numbers together?

Also the biggest takeaway reading this is: there's no easy, nor shortcut, to reach your audience. Success does not happen overnight.

1. 1

Ah, I see what you mean.

Kind of like a summary:

Quora - 20

Guest posting - 25

Total = 45

Is that what you mean?

Good idea btw.

1. 1

Yes, just as a quick glossary as the numbers are now scattered throughout the article.

1. 1

Got it, I’ll add it to the end.

10. 1

Great read! Going to have to refer back to this soon.

Trying to balance getting new testers vs making my app super clear and easy to use.

1. 1

That was a major challenge we faced. The MVP was far from pretty so we had to fight to get people to use it and keep coming back.

11. 1

This was helpful, thanks.

1. 1

You’re welcome, I’m glad you found it useful.