May 15, 2018

🖥️ I’ve made a To-do list app using WebStorage API and plan to launch it on Product Hunt. Feedback?

Hey Indie Hackers 👋!

I’ve developed www.kanbify.com: A To-do list app using Web Storage API and I think it can be useful for other indie hackers who need a quick and simple tool to organize their daily tasks and track them.

Any suggestions? I plan to launch it on Product Hunt and I’m open to consider new features based on your feedback.

Feel free to ask me any doubt!

1. 3

The landing page & site looks clean/nice. I see the export option is currently just .json - seems it targets only technical audience, how about CSV option so its not intimidating to non-tech users.

1. 2

Thanks for the idea Naren, sounds really good and extremely easy to implement, so I will consider it.

2. 2

Cool.

I created a similar version a few years ago, even as a chrome plugin, but never released it. It also used Webstorage. The main problem of this that all of the data is bound to a single version of a browser. As julien already pointed out. You can't share between multiple devices. For some, this is essential, for some not.

In addition, think about how many tasks you can support in the UI until it gets cluttered. When do you delete the tasks? Must the user manually delete them? That was my approach. Not sure if it works.

For my newsletter, I created a kanban backend and released it ( http://kanbanbackend.com ) and even though of reviving my old UI. Feel free to check it out; maybe it saves some time.

I'd make the location of storage optional and offer the local storage as a free version and an online backend as paid feature. Maybe a self-hosted backend would be even an option. Depends on your audience.

Also, I'd:

• use the full browser width for the board

• add a description field

• either make the number of tags fix and preset (My version did just have 5 tags just referenced by color)

• or if you keep it, make the creation simpler. Felt it took too many clicks and mouse navigation

• scrollbar looks ugly when having too many tasks in a column

1. 1

This kind of comments is why I love to post my side projects on Indie Hackers, thanks for your useful feedback Jens and text me if you release your chrome extension in a future.

Same question as Julien, would you prefer to create an account or simply log in with one of your existing social network profiles (gmail, facebook, etc)?

In addition, think about how many tasks you can support in the UI until it gets cluttered. When do you delete the tasks? Must the user manually delete them? That was my approach. Not sure if it works.

Mmm ok, I can try to change width & height of the board to achieve more space for the tasks, even change the size of tasks. Any other idea? IMO users should be who delete tasks to get a full control.

I’m checking if kanbanbackend.com can be useful for my case, thanks!

I'd make the location of storage optional and offer the local storage as a free version and an online backend as paid feature. Maybe a self-hosted backend would be even an option. Depends on your audience.

Nice approach, but I’m still not sure if users prefer to create an account or simply use this quick “in-browser” version.

1. 1

Same question as Julien, would you prefer to create an account or simply log in with one of your existing social network profiles (gmail, facebook, etc)?

Probably not the average user, but I'd prefer a new account. I hate social logins.

Nice approach, but I’m still not sure if users prefer to create an account or simply use this quick “in-browser” version.

I'd run with the current “in-browser” version, add a feedback button and see what happens. If users request a backend, you can implement one.

Maybe you don't even need your own, maybe do it like the shop & google sheets thread here on IH and use a google sheet as the backend. Store all tasks in a sheet owned by the user. No backend to operate and the user is free to go with his data. The more I think about that, the more I like it.

The nerd in me wants to know what tech stack you used :-)

1. 1

Okey, so add a feedback button seems to be the best choice to take the right decision based on users feedback.

Checking the post you mentioned, could be powerful too.

About tech stack:

• ES6 & TypeScript

• Angular

• Twitter Bootstrap

• SASS

• Webpack & Babel

• Nginx

• Digital Ocean

2. 1

And just for you, I put my old version ( http://codeboje.de/kanbanui/ ) online so you can check with what I came up. Remember, the thing is from 2013 :-)

1. 1

Wow! I've tested it, very simple but very useful. Simply improve a bit the look & feel and it will be ready.

I don't like the way you store the tasks on localStorage (ToDos-X). I would recommend you to store all tasks in an array and add a key for state (todo, working, done). Anyway, good job guy!

3. 2

It looks nice and seems easy to use.

I understand you used the WebStorage so that we can use it without creating an account, but as far as I am concerned I want to have access to my todo list from anywhere (mainly laptop and mobile) so that would be a big limitation that would make me not use your service.

1. 1

Thank you so much for your feedback Julien.

In that case, would you prefer to create an account or simply log in with one of your existing social network profiles (gmail, facebook, etc)?

4. 1

It looks like a cool app. One thing, however, is that I think you should make it much more clear to users that their data is stored locally in their browser and can be very easily deleted.

Most users will assume this information gets stored in the cloud somewhere and will not understand the implications of having the information stored in local storage.

BTW, what is your motivation for not storing it in the cloud? One of the things you mention is "Privacy matters", but how many people do you think are that concerned about the privacy of their to-do list that they want the data to never leave their computer?

1. 1

My mainly motivation was let users use it instantly without creating an account, but maybe you are right and users would prefer to create an account and persist their data in the cloud. I’m still not sure.

Thank you so much for your feedback Jerrie.

5. 1

Can I ask why you decided to make a To-Do List app?

1. 1

Of course!

I’m a Software Engineer and I (and my team mates) needed a quick tool to organize our daily/weekly work.

After some research, we realized that there are a lot of tools with a lot of extra features, but I decided to make one which fits perfect to us.

Then I thought that if it was useful for us it could be for others 😄.