June 13, 2018

Let's Build a Startup!

I have an idea for a website -- maybe it's been done before ? If so, I'd love to see.

I'm a developer, and would love to use my skills to build something, but I just don't know what. I'm always keen to meet other devs and chat about startups and building stuff, but it's not always easy to find people who have the same interests or passions.

Therefore, I want to see if I can do something about it:

Basically the idea would be a website where you can sign up, either as a developer, designer, freelancer, marketer (whatever), and you fill in your interests, skills, ideas, target idea/concept niche, etc.

You would then be able to search a database of other people and you could filter people by your same interests, tech knowledge and preferred stack, passions, etc etc.

The premise being that you would be connected with like-minded people and therefore be able to bounce ideas around based on your chosen niche, category, passion etc. This could be integrated with all sorts of tools like slack for chat, trello for task lists, etc etc.

You could then go on to join forces and build your startup.

Does anything like this exist, if not, is it relevant? And if it is relevant, do you have any ideas to flesh this out more?

1. 2

I actually met someone that I worked with on my site www.muusical.com on a site very similar to what you describe. It was something like www.meeet.co I don't believe it is operating anymore, but I really liked it and it helped me find a like-minded and talented designer to work with!

2. 2

Hard to generate revenue in this space. The target group is generally not looking to invest hard-cash in doing this as the proposition becomes "pay to share your idea with strangers" or "pay to share your time with strangers". Startups are not rich either.

You also have to manage the risk of people just using it as an ideas source/jobs board/dev-shop marketing channel. It could easily become MySpace/LinkedIn spam central.

Even if you beat the spam the reality it people don't come back for two reasons:

• You find a co-founder and go build something

• You don't find a co-founder and go somewhere else to find one

I wonder if there's more of a social spin on it. Where devs could contribute their time to worthy causes. Like a pro-bono UpWork. Charities/3rd Sector pays a fee to list their tech challenges on a collab platform e.g. "We need to build a better blog". People chip in to solve the code publicly via Git. You could do some interesting gamification of Karma for contributors and fund it via CSR from large tech businesses.

1. 1

Thank you for the great feedback! Yeah I thought revenue could be generated via jobs boards and things like that, but it would be tricky.

I love the idea about helping others with their projects, kind of like upwork but more 'crowd funded'. I learned to code through Free Code Camp, and I know for a fact that there are hundreds of thousands of new coders who would love to get theirs hands dirty on 'real' projects.

Thank you!

1. 1

Happy to be of use! It may be worth checking out some of the existing models in the space. Yellow Card, Good for Nothing etc...

My guess would be that the cost of admin/acquisition of talent will be the biggest challenge. If you can hack around that in the short term, it would be easy to run some test hacks to show the value.

3. 2

Brainstorm, sorry if any of this sounds dumb:

Users sign up, fill out a profile and categorize themselves as X, seeking for Y, Z, W, etc.

People tend to sign up for these sites, see nothing they are interested in and never come back. As a main feature, I would send regular (weekly?) emails, or emails letting you know that "a new Z signed up, check out their profile!" This way even if daily engagement is low, people will still have a hook that leads them back every once in a while (as long as there are occasional new sign ups).

1. 1

Yeah you're right. It would be hard to keep people coming back. And without building a platform that does it all ('chat room', 'trello board', etc etc), it would be hard to retain users.

And of course then there is the issue of leaking peoples data out to the web to places it shoulnd't be!

4. 2

nicetohuntyou.com is the first website that comes to my mind. It seems that it works just like you described above. But there is no community

1. 1

Awesome, thanks! That's a pretty good starting point :)

5. 2

I have an idea around startups that could evolve into that idea eventually.

1. 1

Cool, I would love to hear about it.. that is if you want to share :)

6. 2

I think the hardest part about building any community is getting an engaged and interactive audience.

Other than being able to Specify the technology niche how would setting up events vary over using something like meetup.com and having the niche in the title of the Meetup (E.g. X Dev meetup - Y location)?

1. 1

Yeah that's a good point.. I suppose I envisioned something a bit more modern, but yeah you're right at the end of the day, it's basically just a 'meetup' site in some ways.

7. 1

Interesting idea. I like it! The first thing that came to my mind was that I think some of the best founding teams have different backgrounds/skills, but a shared interest.

It would be helpful for me to look for someone with a marketing/growth background that is interested in consumer gaming, etc.

Good luck!

8. 1

How do you will keep people motivated to update their profile, if user profile would be so accurate? Or is it up to them?

For example - I was interested in job board developing, so I filled my profile with this niche. I found some people and someone also found me. Then I moved on next idea. And I'm lazy and didn't update my profile up to my current niche. But I'll still be in filter results for job board, and wouldn't answer on messages about that.

1. 1

Yeah I am also guilty of not updating my profile on new sites. And yeah, I shudder at the thought of yet another "social media" esq site. So that's a good point. It's a fine line because it needs to be exciting and relevant otherwise people might sign up and get bored quick! Thanks for your comment