December 6, 2018

Personal Productivity

1. 1

I use Todoist to track all of my tasks and while it's not perfect, I'm sure I couldn't go back to a time before I used it.

Similar to you're "What I can accomplish" vs "What I'd like to accomplish", I divide my tasks into things that have to get done (like a deliverable I gave a time-based committment on, or taking out the trash the night before it gets picked up); things that should get done but don't have to (getting a head start on certain tasks, errands, or chores); and things that don't have to get done but I don't want to forget about.

My main complaint, which you mentioned, is that there's no easy way to see what you've already completed. I love the feeling of looking at a list and seeing that I've crossed off 8 items and only have 2 left; seeing a list with just 2 items in it isn't the same. It's the main reason why I still use pen and paper sometimes when I've got a set of things I want to be able to knock out, like a set of weekend chores. It feels good to cross things off!

1. 1

That's what I like about Apple Notes. The checklists don't disappear. I move the completed lists to an archive at the end of the week. I feel with disappearing tasks that you end up on a treadmill. It always pushes you to do more. It's one of the reasons I don't use Asana.

Stepping back and looking at the bigger picture and asking yourself what you can actually do that's worthwhile is so much better than constantly checking stuff off a list.