September 27, 2018

Show IH: Landing Page Generator for Startups ๐Ÿฆ„

Hi fellows. My name is Alex, I'm a web designer and developer. You may have seen my previous works such as WebGradients and Phoenix Startups UI Kit which I've co-created.

For the last few months, I've been building something entirely new.

I'm concerned about the quality gap between an agency-crafted and a generated landing page. What I want is to make a high-end design affordable for bootstrapped startups, makers, and indie hackers.

That is why https://unicornplatform.com was born. Unicorn Platform is a static landing page generator. You throw some components, export website, edit content locally and upload the HTML template to a hosting.

Good thing: no sign up required to start. Yay!

I would very appreciate your feedback. It is the most wanted and precious thing for me ๐Ÿ’Ž

N.B.: It's on! Unicorn Platform has been launched on Product Hunt! https://www.producthunt.com/posts/unicorn-platform

๐Ÿ˜ฎ๐Ÿ™‡๐Ÿ™†โ€โ™‚๏ธ

1. 6

Hi, i have been following unicorn platform for a while, looks good. I wished i could edit the content directly before exporting

1. 3

Hey Shakil. Thanks for the warm words ๐Ÿค“

Content editing, style customization and hosting are to come in the next iterations.

2. 1

That got me at first too but I think leaving out the editing is a much simpler experience

2. 3

Beautifully designed ! Using it for a personal project and can't recommend enough .. nice work @alexanderisora !

1. 2

Yay!

Can you share the link to your project please?

3. 2

I'm a little concerned there might be a lot of bloat in the CSS. Could you export a task runner such as webpack or grunt so that we could edit the SASS?

1. 1

Hey David, good question. I would say very good.

I knowingly don't share the source files - SCSS/PUG and gulpfile.js because I've decided to provide HTML/CSS only and focus on users experience editing HTML and CSS only. Why not to share the sources? 2 reasons:

1. My sources work perfect for me, but it needs tons of documentation and clearing before making it public.

2. I need to focus on and support only on 1 codebase of the product: HTML/CSS. Not on 2: HTML/CSS and SCSS/PUG. That means I will not need to answer questions about task running, npm packages, pug mixins, and SCSS functions. I will not need to create guides and docs for the source files as well.

So I just save my time.

To survive, I must use time efficiently because I'm alone in the team.

In future, the export function will be smart enough to only provide CSS/JS chunks of the chosen components, not all the code every time.

Does that sound reasonable? ๐Ÿค“

P.S.: If you want to use the sources as is I can share it privately!

1. 2

Hmmm... I guess it's a priorities thing then for you. I don't know if your arguments are strong enough. Thanks I may reach out to you in the near future.

4. 2

Damn. I'm going to play around with the generators for a little but I think I might be ditching Launchaco for you

1. 2

Unicorn + editing and hosting >> launchco. Launchco are you listening ;-)

5. 2

Just what I was looking for this days for my new project, newreleases.io. It looks great. I'll definitely check it out soon in more details. I'll let you know if I manage to create something beautiful with it (I'm operated from fine arts ๐Ÿ˜‚). Best of luck!

1. 1

Hey Karolina! Thanks for your comment.

I'm curious to see what your landing page will look like, so please ping me when it's ready! If you need a design advise or tech help - feel free to contact me or join the Slack Group I created to support users.

6. 2

Looks good :-) $80 seems supercheap though. Is this just an introductory price?

1. 1

Hi Maarten. Yup, it's the beta period price.

7. 1

Looks awesome. Super clean. Will be fun to watch how the features and variations develop.

1. 2

Well, thank you, stranger! ๐Ÿ˜Œ

The best way to watch this show is to subscribe the newsletter: https://unicornplatform.us18.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=b5a4c18c515b0b1b6f7f7f272&id=5238fd87f4

8. 1

Good job and well executed !

1. 1

Hey Okii, thank you! ๐Ÿ™‚

9. 1

Good job,planning to use it in my next project sooon!

For now you contentiskey.co so that we generate enough content for your site

1. 1

Hey Okii, thanks for the offer but I'm focusing on the product, not on content ATM ๐Ÿ˜‰

10. 1

Looking good Alex!

1. 2

Hi again Satvik ๐Ÿ™‚

11. 1
    • Design ๐Ÿ‘

• Readability ๐Ÿ‘

• Idea ๐Ÿ‘

Only think i wonder is:

There are a lot of law regulations about storing personal data in Europe and you offer subscribe to mailchimp newsletter. Is there option to add required checkboxes? I know there are other solutions than checkboxes, like two-way subscription (where fist email include all required information and then you have to click another link in email to confirm subscription) but maybe someone wont do it this way? Anyway it is a small note, maybe not worth the trouble ๐Ÿ˜‹

Good luck! ๐Ÿ‘

1. 2

Hello Michael.

Uh-h, that is very important, thanks for noticing! Currently there is no such functionality, but I will add it to the plan.

Maybe you know some examples of email forms with such checkboxes?

1. 1

I suggest to leave it to your customer because it depends... Just add option to append one or many checkboxes or info-text :) Anyway you can check it, we have it in our landing page: https://youranima.com/

1. 1

I see.

Thank you, Mich! ๐Ÿ˜