May 15, 2018

Show IH: Unlimited copywriting for your website or blog

Hello Indie Hackers!

I'm in the very early phases of launching my very own productized service, CopyCoyote, which provides unlimited copywriting for a flat monthly fee.

I'm looking for feedback on my landing page, pricing, and the idea itself.

One of the things I wanted to clearly convey is that for this service, 'unlimited' means no cap on requests, but obviously you are limited by the work I am humanly able to accomplish in a month.

I was Inspired by recent Indie Hackers posts like:

Many Pixels: https://www.indiehackers.com/product/manypixels

Devy.io: https://www.indiehackers.com/forum/show-ih-unlimited-web-and-app-development-for-a-small-fixed-monthly-fee-a10b25b8b5

And also inspired by other services like:

https://designpickle.com/

https://copywritertoday.net/

Appreciate any thoughts or feedback you can provide.

Cheers,

Colin

1. 6

The landing page looks good, but I don't trust the quality at that price point. I'm also not sure how unlimited + based on how much time you have to work in a month works.

1. 1

I'm also not sure how unlimited + based on how much time you have to work in a month works.

I don't want to set an arbitrary limit on how much content I provide, but I also won't be providing hundreds of articles per client. Essentially I'm saying, 'you're not limited to 10 or even 15, but I can only write around 20 a month for you with the time I have'.

Thanks for taking the time to give some feedback.

1. 1

Even after your response I still agree with Laurent.

2. 4

Just as a note, I went hunting for examples of your work and thought I'd check our Kanis Lab's blog (surely the creator of the service, is using the service).. and was disappointed to see zero content everywhere I looked. The site looks cute enough though 😊

3. 4

Looks good. I'm a little weary about the unlimited aspect, just doesn't seem sustainable unless you punish abusers.

I've bookmarked it, I will need something in the future, so I will def be down to trying a month out.

1. 2

Yeah, as a content creator myself, I just don't see it as sustainable myself either. I'm curious where the limits are, and what this really means in practice. How will you juggle your time? In my mind it seems to dilute the potential value you provide.

2. 2

Exactly, you should consider doing the math on the number of pieces of content to work for that $250.

I thought this idea was really cool for those of us hacking on stuff that need content in the early stages at a good price.

When I saw unlimited, my brain just went straight to, "oh, if this gets any amount of traction I'll only be able to get 1 piece of content a month".

I'd become a customer right now if there was more of a guarantee I'd get consistent quality content. Consider pricing as such: $250 for 8 blog posts per month.

You could also assign a point value to the types of content so people could get a mix.

1. 2

$250 for 8 blog posts per month.

That would be too good to be true, but I'm curious what the perception of great content would be here. I think it would be hard to sustain!

1. 1

Indeed. Even 4 per month @ $250 would be cheap. $60 a blog, if it took 2 hours per blog post it would be about $30 per hour.

Guessing most of us who are trying to build out base content for an idea couldn't do agency prices for super quality content until our idea is proven and the business is making money.

1. 1

Agree. There should be examples of the work done previously in the site

2. 1

Thanks for the feedback Justin. You bring up a few great points. Long reply incoming - maybe this will help someone else as well.

I thought this idea was really cool for those of us hacking on stuff that need content in the early stages at a good price.

This is a great summation of the service I want to provide. I'm specifically targeting smaller companies/projects that need some lift with regards to content. If you're developing a product yourself or with a small team, it's hard to dedicate time to content. This leads into why pricing is set the way it is.

I don't want to set an arbitrary limit on how much content I provide, but I also won't be providing hundreds of articles per client. If 'unlimited' keeps being a barrier to signups, I might try a points system like you described, or an arbitrary limit.

When I saw unlimited, my brain just went straight to, "oh, if this gets any amount of traction I'll only be able to get 1 piece of content a month". I'd become a customer right now if there was more of a guarantee I'd get consistent quality content. Consider pricing as such: $250 for 8 blog posts per month.

I won't be taking on more clients than I can handle. I wanted to add this to the site but I thought it might be gimmicky, so I've left it off for the soft launch. I'm looking at about 10 customers max to start.

Hopefully that makes things a little more clear. I really appreciate the feedback.

3. 1

Hi Josh, thanks for taking some time to check it out.

Looks good. I'm a little weary about the unlimited aspect, just doesn't seem sustainable unless you punish abusers.

I went into some detail in another comment but how I'm handling this initially is to limit the number of customers I'll allow.

4. 4

If I understand well your pricing, it means that for 249$ I can get 30 blog posts of maximum 2000 words (one request per day with maximum 24h of turnaround)?

1. 2

Hi Julien,

Yes that is correct.

1. 3

How are you going to be able to deliver that if 10 people sign up for your service at once?

That's only $2,490 in revenue for 300 posts in a month?

2. 2

If that's true, I'd sign up for that in a second. Would actually need those posts delivered though!

5. 3

Hey Colin, congrats on launching!

Here's my feedback:

• Build trust with me - show me social proof (testimonials, logos, examples of the quality of your work etc)

• I recommend including a live chat widget like Drift. Especially in the early days when your landing page doesn't answer all questions, it's really useful to be able to jump straight into a conversation with your potential customers...

• There's good evidence to suggest that people perceive prices written in larger text-sizes as being more expensive. Perhaps you'd have better conversion rates with smaller pricing.

• Lose the gmail

• Who will be doing the copywriting? You definitely want to make that clear.

• My gut feeling is that you're making a mistake by including blog posts in the cheaper plan but not social media posts etc. I would reverse that - blog posts are a lot more work.

• No refunds is a deal breaker for me. if you don't have confidence in your ability, neither do I.

• Copywriting/content is definitely a matter of quality over quantity. For the quality I need, my guess is you are between 2-10x too cheap (probably on the higher end of that scale). If that's not the case, you need to really convince me why that's true!

Good luck!

1. 2

Hi Louis, thanks for taking the time to give some feedback, I really appreciate it.

I've gotten some of these implemented already and I've made a few changes based on other feedback received here as well.

• Added Drift to the site

• Raised prices a bit

• Removed gmail in favor of a contact form

• Added a section in the FAQ to say I'm the writer

• Removed blog posts from basic

• Edited my refund policy (refund available on first deliverable)

Your feedback (and all the others I've received) was really helpful and is exactly why I wanted to post here first.

6. 3

Congrats on your launch and I am glad you were inspired by my project!

Always happy to help if you have questions about how to create SOPs, maintain quality, find customers, deliver the work, etc etc etc.

In addition, I also run a small FB group about productized services (some of the members are the founders of WPBuffs, Design Pickle, etc... it's very neutral group where no ads or self-promo are allowed: Just genuinely helping each other build productized services): https://www.facebook.com/groups/192719694795609/

1. 1

Thanks for checking it out Robin! I'll be sure to reach out if I have questions.

I'd be interested to learn more about how the 'unlimited requests' feature has been perceived both by your customers and other founders in this space.

7. 3

Congrats on launching!

Some feedback:

• The supporting headline is more informative than the hero headline. Maybe something about: we write unlimited content for your business

• Social proof (expert testimonials, user reviews) is missing.

• Maybe you can provide samples of your work?

• It bothers me that the CTAs are not horizontally aligned.

• The Contact link at the header links to a Gmail address. Maybe there is a more official email address you can use?

1. 2

Thanks for the feedback Amin.

I agree that social proof and samples will be key for something like this.

As for the Gmail, that was the one thing I kept telling myself i should change before launching 😂. I'm trying out the 'Just Ship It' approach. Do you prefer contact forms or mailtos on websites?

1. 1
        1. Chatbot to capture email (checkout Drift)

=> Cuts through the noise and you know you're going to likely talk to someone real and helpful.

1. Contact forms

=> Just ask for as little as possible. Ideally just email and your question.

1. Just plaintext of the email address (not a mailto)

=> I use web based Google Mail. When I click mailtos they open the native MacOS Mail app which is annoying because then I have to close it.

1. 1

I'm trying out Drift. I've seen it in the wild and so far I really think I'm going to like it. I turned the sound notification off because I can't stand it when I get that on other sites 😂

1. 1

Haha I hear you. That's awesome--glad it's helping.

8. 3

Hi, what kind of quality can I expect ?

I've been disappointed quite a lot with low/mid-end writers.

1. 1

I'm a professional marketing person by day so my content is high-mid tier.

9. 2

Do you have a free trial or an initial free request?

If you need an Indie Hackers beta tester to help you work out some of your operations let me know. I'm a beta tester of ManyPixels and I've also used DesignPickle in the past.

Good luck with your service!

1. 2

Thanks Harry.

No free trial at the moment but I have thought about it.

I might take you up on that. It would be awesome to glean insights about those services from a primary source.

1. 2

Awesome, I just signed up for a free article from contentcucumber.com and copywritertoday.net too so I can share about those experiences.

1. 1

Thanks for the recommendations! I did too.

10. 2

Cool! There's a similar service you can check out for ideas--they were also inspired by Design Pickle. I think it's a great idea.

https://contentcucumber.com

11. 2

The landing page is missing a key element: trust. Why should I trust that I'll get good results with you?

Some things that could convey the trust element: testimonials, past work examples, case studies (including analysis of how conversion rates changed), and biographies/profiles of the writers.

1. 2

I’m echoing this one. The first thing I looked for was a sample of the writing.

2. 1

If it's still in the early phases of launching, how is he supposed to provide testimonials and case studies?

1. 3

He's selling the skills of one or more people. Those people are skilled because they've already done plenty of work; therefore, they have past work that they can showcase and they have happy past customers who can be quoted.

2. 1

Often the first clients for a service are found locally through friendly referrals or existing relationships. It's a great practice to do work for a few folks first locally and then add the case studies / testimonials to the site early on.

3. 1

I agree.

I was thinking of using some blog/medium posts as content examples. My thinking is that they'd promote the service and be kind of a sample all at once. I would prefer customer samples, but right now... 🐥||🥚.

I like the idea of the biography/profile too. I'm in marketing and have done a fair bit of content marketing (for b2b software). It would be wise to advertise that.

Thanks for the feedback! Really appreciate it.

12. 1

Reading all the answers I see that you have the best feedback possible: too good to be true, is not good at all.

I once had a consulting business that was almost dieing trying to sell projects for $50k. Only when I raised the price to around $500k leads started to convert. After some time I asked those same people I offered for 50k why they were paying 500k and would not buy for 1/10th if it. They said they couldn't believe I had a sustainable business and were worried to buy something that would lack support later.

P.s. Loved the illustration in landing page. Where is it from?

13. 1

Nice looking landing page! The pricing fonts are a bit too large. Which template are you using?

14. 1

A few samples + time spent would help a lot for me trusting the quality, cool idea! I would use it if I understood how well it would work for our company compared to me spending time creating domain specific content.

15. 1

Interested sure, if I were you though I'd lose the (unlimited) term.

You say unlimited and I think (low quality content). Unfortunately most will take that term LITERALLY and you will end up with more headaches than is needed.

UNLIMITED:

• Not limited or restricted in terms of number, quantity, or extent.

You can see the problem right?

Instead, just break it down and stop marketing it by using an unrealistic term, help yourself before hurting your reputation.

I would like to find out more as I may be interested in using your service, tell me, what standard are your writers?

Thanks

16. 1

Hey, I am def interested in this, because I am looking at content marketing for my product. I sent you an email!

17. 1

raise. your. prices.

18. 1

Colin,

Looks like a promising service if executed well. Considering signing up for the premium plan

1. 1

Sounds great, let me know if you have any questions!

19. 1

Hey Colin,

Excellent idea; I will be signing up for your service soon. One question: will you come up with content subjects as well? Or do you expect the customer to tell you what to write about?

1. 1

Sounds great Matt, I’m glad you like the idea!

For the subject matter of the content I am definitely willing to help generate ideas.

I don’t expect fully fleshed out ideas or outlines, and I see my content marketing skills as part of the value of the package.