November 8, 2018

Thursday Edition: Daily Stand Up!

Almost the end of the week! What have you accomplished?

Why?

That extra nudge of accountability to achieve even a small step on your IH journey each day.

To join in:

01 Share your epic (a big chunk of work with a meaty objective) you'd like to complete by the end of November.

02 Share what you accomplished yesterday.

03 Share what you commit to accomplishing today.

Optional:

04 Comment on at least one fellow hacker's progress and give them an IH Point for their check in.

05 Share your Work In Progress to underscore your accomplishments!

Then tune in the tomorrow to share how you did on your own tasks!

1. 3

EPIC:

Complete testing of banking intergration for PH Launch next month

Yesterday:

• Conducted customer discovery interviews

• Implemented beta user feedback for onboarding and savings threshold

Today:

-Completed a blog post

• Unit testing of banking integration

Work In Progress: https://www.budgetpolitan.com

1. 1

Welcome! I currently use YNAB... how do you compare?

1. 1

Hi Harlem:

Thanks for the question and interest. How we compare?

You receive a better, personalized experience and a deeper understanding of your complete financial lifestyle, all the good...and the bad.

BudgetPolitan maps out your entire financial path, showing you when/how to put your money to use, the exact day when you can pay off your debt and when you can realize your financial goals. We give you the power of being fully aware of what's coming and so you can be prepared and do what's needed.

Give BudgetPolitan a try and let me know what you think. Thanks Harlem!

2. 3

EPIC:

Improve chrome extension & static site by the end of the month

Yesterday

• Started on improving the chrome extension. Got the redux-devtools working with the chrome extension

• Started writing my next blog post

Today

• Continue cranking out the chrome extension

WORK IN PROGRESS: https://getreadit.com

3. 3

Wow. Yesterday was incredible! Got a bite from a festival and a convention. They envisioned incorporating Happy Endings in ways I hadn't imagined! That damn article on Medium is still paying dividends as it serves as an easy reference to "get" Happy Endings.

EPIC:

By end of November, launch.

YESTERDAY

Rough day. My day gig had me up to midnight !

App Not a damn thing.

Marketing Site

• ✓ Provide feedback to illustrator.

• ✓ Created the HTML for the new landing page inspired by Netflix. Their new landing page is 🔥!

Community Building

• Determine where else to syndicate my post.

• ✓ Create outline for next post.

• ✓ Chat with fab director of festival to chat partnership opportunities.

• ✓ Respond to other nibbles.

• ✓ Promote, promote, promote.

TODAY

App

• Continue refactor for locations.

Marketing Site

• Provide feedback to illustrator.

Community Building

• Determine where else to syndicate my first post.

KUDOS: Pending others joining in.

WORK IN PROGRESS: https://happyendin.gs/

1. 3

That's a great article.

FWIW, I found my wonderful wife after writing with her for months, every day, then travel across the world to finally meet each other. After that I moved to another country in order to be with her.

So I know you have something good in your hands there.

1. 1

Ahhhhhhhh. I love love stories! (Especially with happy endings!) Did you by any chance see @sandie's story?

(And thanks for the compliment!)

1. 2

Yes, saw her story. Very nice.

2. 2

That's a cute landing page! If you are going to write more articles why don't you put them on your own blog as well as Medium so you bring traffic to you? I definitely think you should write more, the last one was really well written and entertaining and it will be a great way for you to build your own audience. Hint: never rely on someone else's platform.

1. 1

(Smiling) https://happyendin.gs/blog/

Real marketing site coming up soon with links to app and blog! Launch in just 21 days!

1. 1

Ah ha! I see you are all up to scratch with the marketing thinks! Twenty-one days to go - gulp! Good luck - I think it's a winner!

1. 2

(Grinning) I've done a mighty bit of marketing in the past. (Although there is always stuff to learn!) It's the coding that's tough for me as I'm very new to the universe.

1. 2

Oh I cannot code to save my life but that's why I had the foresight to hook myself a web developer-chappy. He's a bit untidy and cannot cook to save either of our lives but he can write code - so I'll let him stick around for a while longer! ; )

1. 1

(Laughing!) We all have our parts to play!

3. 2

background on your lp is downloaded very long. I am from Kyiv (if you need data to check). Where is your hosting? Check your page download speed?

BTW, Very nice landing page, you are right, it rocks!

1. 1

(Grinning) Actually, I haven't done the redesign, yet! But I'm flattered you like where it's headed!

No doubt I need to optimize the image (soon to be images) more. But curious how long was the page load for you? GT clocked it at 2.2s...

1. 2

Ah! This might be the problem I had too. It initially loaded pretty quickly but then the screen went black for about five seconds and before it reloaded.

1. 1

Good to know! Thanks for the feedback! The new marketing site should address these issues!

4. 2

So cool to hear people are digging HappyEndings!!! What were the "ways you hadn't imagined?"

Are you going to keep the content marketing streak going, or focus on convention outreach, or both?

And love the idea of having an article to send people to, with more depth/info/informality than a landing page might have.

1. 1

The imagined ways are likely too verbose for IH. But if truly interested, I'll send an email.

(Grinning) I don't know if we can call it a streak. But it is a damn good start. And yeah. Definitely plan to stick with my 3-Cs. Although spinning content frequently won't ever be my strong suit. It takes me a good 3 - 4 weeks for each article.

4. 2

EPIC

Have the windows port of my product Vimalin done, so that it can go in beta.

Yesterday

• Implemented a lot of networking Windows API

TODAY

• Found after testing that the networking API won't help me due to how the Windows security model works. Back to the drawing board once more.

Product

The macOS version of Vimalin is available at https://vimalin.com

1. 2

Ugh. Sorry to read this. The good news is that you've still 21 days to hit that epic!

1. 1

Last night I managed to find a way, not 100% happy with it as it means having to add a password dialog during install, but it works. It also means not having to spent several weeks (or longer) rewriting parts of the core engine.

1. 1

🙌🏾

5. 2

EPIC:

Have a customer using my product with their youtube channel.

Yesterday:

Made lists and parts so I have content, Worked on improving SEO

Today:

Add tests, and maybe clean up my ugly landing and about pages

Work in Progress: https://www.makerspartlist.com

1. 1

FYI, on your landing page you have a spelling error in the word available in the "view avaliable projects" button.

1. 1

thanks!

2. 1

Hey! Welcome back! I'm not sure I understand your epic... You're hoping an influencer showcases your product? How are you going about finding said influencer?

1. 1

I currently just go to youtube and reach out to youtubers who make tutorials in woodworking and other categories. I used to do sales so finding them is the easy part. Finishing my MVP is the hard thing

6. 2

EPIC Get 100 beta signups for Newsbie

Yesterday

• Finished Newsbie landing page for educators, made them my sole audience b/c B2C doesn't seem like viable path. Now, I've got a free (at least for now) tool that educators can leverage instantly.

• Also revised my Google adwords to jive with new copy/direction

Today

• Work on Ashby landing page 2.0, with all of the awesome feedback I got from @harlem, @thomasm1964, @GregJarm, @avenged

• Not going to have laptop access until Monday, so gonna prep some stuff I can do on an ipad

Works in Progress

1. 3

Nicely designed Ryan. Definitely a great landing page! Why the change in audience?

1. 2

Thanks Fenel!

And I think my initial audience was so big and generic that it would never have worked out. Not only does pretty much everyone say that you need to target a niche market/audience to make a compelling product, at least early on, but I also found that friends, colleagues, indie hackers, Google ad visitors and other folks I shared Newsbie with thought it was cool, but I could tell it didn't resonate with a generic consumer.

But I can see the direct benefit to classrooms - even in its current beta stage. The dream is for average news consumers to use it, but for now I think I can give immediate value to educators/students and get feedback to improve it in the process.

1. 2

I completely agree with your efforts. Start small and capture that audience. The scale your way out to the greater masses.

2. 1

This does look great! I dig this direction, although I worry about whether the wallets of educators can handle the pricing. In the States, at least, teachers must often go out of personal pocket.

Have you thought about asking for emails in exchange for a sample lesson plan? To be honest, I think the landing page is quite dense. The first paragraph is pitch perfect. But thereafter, it goes into explaining what Newsbie is, rather than how it can help teachers in the classroom. And the screenshots just add more "noise". I could easily see a teacher saying... "Lots of data... but how do I use it?"

Teachers, stateside, are often overworked and underpaid. Your ability to lessen their load, would likely be appreciated.