October 10, 2018

Ummm... I think I just solved a major problem.

I've been iterating super heavily in the accountability space over the past few months. Tried a bunch of different things. And then two nights ago BAM. It just hit me.

Does anyone else have a tendency of ignoring their todo lists?

I think I've just solved that problem.

Let me know what you think: https://imgoing.to/via/1

Also, fun fact: if you use that link then you'll make money each time I miss a due date.

Edit: Please let me know if you'd be more likely to use this if the majority - say 80% or so - went to charity. Thanks :)

1. 7

This is similar to gofuckingdoit.com made by levels. The copy is fun but too long. I am sure that is WIP.

BTW, pay us if you do not finish this on time. 😜

All the best. ☺

1. 2

Just came here to say something about this, someone beat me to it!

1. 1

Sorry, bro. :-P

2. 5

I had a friend who ran a similar site with a more specific aim: weight loss.

You set a weight goal and put some of your own money on the line up front. So let's say it was an 8 week goal, and I put $400 on the line. Every week you missed your weigh in you lost that week's portion of the original amount ($50). Weighing in did require snapping a photo of your feet on the scale to prove you actually did it, too.

In the end, if you hit your weekly weigh ins AND your overall goal weight you got all of your money back. If not, he kept the $$.

He helped people lose weight AND made money when people slacked off on their own goals. In the end the site required a regular pipeline of new "losers" (lol) to make it a real business and worse, for more people to fail than succeed (which means return customers that pay you are unlikely). That dynamic - plus inconsistent marketing - led to him eventually closing the site.

One thing I will say is that some people on the comments are confused about the difference between "I don't like this" and ethical behavior. There is nothing ethically wrong with people agreeing to pay you if they don't meet their goals. It would be wrong if you somehow made it harder for them to achieve their goals, or said you were giving the money to charity but pocketing it instead.

But it's not wrong to make money running a website.

This mindset drags makers down ALL THE TIME (it only costs XYZ to run a site! You're wrong to make more than that). If you have that opinion, you're entitled to it, but if you want to run a business, that mindset is not going to do you any favors. People who don't want to pay aren't your customers. Listen to the people who will pay, and who you can actually help.

Business is easy if you focus on helping people and charging for the value (not the costs) you bring.

1. 2

Love this response so hard.

Bummer that your buddy's site wasn't sustainable. I fully appreciate that suckiness of only making money when somebody fails. That's not for "good" people (I kinda cringe describing myself that way, but whatevs) who truly want to help people. It's rough that our financial motives and our personal motives are opposed.

Thanks for the note on the ethical aspect of making money. This thought that a person - who could easily be making $X per year working for some company - doesn't even deserve to earn $0.2X per year working for himself because a server only costs $0.0002X.... ugh.

A) I agree with your value argument.

B) Even beyond that - from a "fairness" aspect - (plural) you have to take into account the fact that I've spent two years launching 15 different sites that didn't work out, making zero money in the process. I didn't just flip a switch to turn my server on and start making money.

1. 2

Realtalk and tough love:

"you have to take into account the fact that I've spent two years launching 15 different sites that didn't work out, making zero money in the process. I didn't just flip a switch to turn my server on and start making money."

This doesn't matter to the customer.

1. 1

Much needed realtalk and tough love. Not fun to read, but helpful for mindset. Cuz it's definitely true. Thanks for keeping me on the right track!

2. 1

@alex hill Great approach on the money situation. Is the weight loss website still around? I am curious to see how it ended up

1. 1

I specifically said what happened to his site and why ;) read again!

3. 2

Very nice. Love the idea and the copy.

Will share it on my social feeds. Let me know how.else I can help.

Another pro plan idea would be an integration with everyday.app or similar.

For the reserve of funds(after refferals), I suggest take your working capital expenses and then donate to chairties. Ala give well.

1. 1

Thanks so much for sharing!

Everyday.app is super cool (and beautiful) but it's lacking for someone with a personality like mine. That is, if I don't do the thing then there're no repercussions. I need repercussions.

4. 2

Congrats on the launch!

The concept reminds me a lot of Beeminder (https://www.beeminder.com/), but obviously much more focused on just to-dos.

1. 1

Yeah. Beeminder is more is so dope. Even though I've never used it. Which is maybe telling. Maybe I like the idea of these apps for than I *actually like them. Hmmm.

5. 2

Cool concept! This reminds me a lot of http://www.stickk.com/ and other similar platforms. There was even a smart contract based implementation of the same idea that paid you in ETH.

6. 2

I dig it.

Take it a step further and for the "Pro" plan, make it charge your card a set amount every day a task sits on the list as incomplete.

1. 1

Ooooh, I like that. I just want to be SUPER careful about making sure that people are fully aware every step of the way that they're being charged. I can't stand the idea of charging someone for something they don't know about.

1. 1

Definitely. But don't discourage yourself from providing a valuable service to a niche group of people. Just be transparent with your users.

The goal here is to provide accountability. Some people probably find it great that they'd have actual damages for not completing the tasks.

7. 2

Hi @PatGriffith and congrats, both the idea and your site looks great! What did you use to build your site?

1. 1

Thanks @MettQ! It's built on Laravel. I did all the coding and design myself, with the exception of the illustrations which I purchased from Craftwork.

1. 1

lol, was about to say "I saw this looong neck somewhere before!" ;)

1. 1

Oh, the looooong neck is a tweak I made myself. I used it originally on Showuply. I copied and pasted the majority of that design for ImGoing.to cuz it was the fastest way to get a nice-looking site up for testing purpose.

1. 1

Aaahah that explains it :D

2. 1

Damn. Its beautiful. You are good.

8. 2

Hahahha awesome! But if I start using it I will be in serious trouble XD

1. 1

But if I start using it I will be in serious trouble

Do you really think so? Surely you'd AT LEAST login and delete your tasks, right? Or are you even lazier than me ;)

2. 1

"Earn money each time Patrick Griffith misses a deadline." Nice twist

9. 2

Hi Patrick,

Congrats on this. I really like the premise/problem you're trying to solve, and you did a really great job on the landing page.

1. 2

Thanks @louisswiss! Now it's time to sit and wait! Oh... nvm... probably not the right tactic.

10. 2

I’ll be watching this one with interest. I love the idea of the accountability of it, and I have a couple of things that have been on the list way too long. That said, I’m hesitant to sign up because I’m human and actual accountability is scary.

It’ll be really interesting to see what your uptake is on this.

One thing though, the “who keeps the money?” section could probably do without the “good luck” bit. You’re worthy of whatever you can make a profitable business pay you, and if you decide to put some to charity or whatever after a threshold then that’s cool too. Just think the copy reads a bit... off.

1. 1

Awesome feedback, @JasonDilworth, thanks!

I expect lots and lots of people to have the reaction that @misterdz123 had, so I guess I'm about insecure about this whole aspect. But yeah, I see how it reads weird, and maybe I just need to own it.

Thanks again!

Edit: I've softened that bit of copy.

11. 1

Wrt the Edit, it would not burn me if the money went to charity. Will mellow down the heat of losing money.

12. 1

Please let me know if you'd be more likely to use this if the majority - say 80% or so - went to charity.

Depends on the charity, but I like that idea.

13. 1

Loved your landing page, copy, and goal for this project.

We should trade notes / learnings over a Google Hangout. I'm in the accountability space too! Will send you an email.

Cheers!

Jonathan

1. 1

For sure. Replied to your email. Thanks!

14. 1

Yes! Accountability for the win! Donating proceeds to charity wouldn't impact me much. But I'd be much more likely to play if a group kitty was involved.

1. 1

Would love to know more about what kind of kitty would appeal to you. My big concern with this route is that PERSONALLY I give zero f-bombs about earning $4 per month by playing. But, if it were batched in such a way that everybody was competing for a few $1,000 prizes or something... maybe that'd be different? Or for me, rather, maybe competing for a plane ticket to Thailand or something cool like that. Thoughts?

1. 1

You can never go wrong with travel perks. Especially with this crowd as we tend to be full of wanderlust!

15. 1

Great domain name! I was playing with doing something similar in the weightloss space :)

16. 1

Hi Patrick, nice idea. May i suggest i slightly different monetization plan? The people who don‘t finish the tasks feed a pot of money which is then spread to the ones who do finish on time. You get to keep a certain fee out of that pot.

1. 1

Looooove this. My one concern is that a lot of people won’t be motivated by earning small amounts of money, but maybe they can just play for charity! That’s for the idea!

17. 1

I think this is a really interesting business model, and have been considering something similar. Keep us posted with your progress and the feedback you get!

18. 1

Loved the copy and the landing page.

Although it did made me laugh thinking if only I could sign up everybody I knew :-D

1. 1

Do it do it do it. ALL OF THEM!!!

19. 1

Love the copy, haha. made me laugh.

1. 1

Ha, thanks!

20. 1

YOU make money if I dont finish my todo list?...hmmm

1. 5

I don't understand the problem with this. Todoist, or Asana, or whoever, makes money (if you're on the paid versions) regardless of whether you finish. Is it not reasonable for a certain amount of funds to go to a developer/designer who makes a thing?

1. 1

Valid point. So it's free if you do your shit. Pay if you don't.

21. 0

The first 50k goes to you?! That's so unethical, you don't need 50k to run a website. I get you need to build it but once it's done you don't have to do a lot. This will scare off a lot of people.

Why don't you make 90% go to charity with 10% go to running costs, etc. People will more likely sign up if they know it's going to a better place

1. 6

Unethical? Whoah there. I genuinely appreciate the feedback in your response and will take it to heart, but... that's a strong word.

1. 2

I'm not saying that you're being malicious or anything, I just mean think about how it comes off to a person you're trying to convert. If I you said to your friend "I'm going to run a marathon next year" and your friend said "Ok I bet you X dollars you won't. If you don't do it you have to pay me the money, but if you do I don't have to pay you anything". Now replace your friend with someone you don't even know.

If you end up keeping your monetisation model then let us know how it goes in an update. You could even A/B test an alternative pricing model.

Good luck with it!

1. 1

Okay awesome, @JamesReilly, thanks for clarifying, and I apologize for being on the sensitive side. When I see the word "unethical" - especially when it's something I'm already hyper aware of - it kinda feels personal. So I really appreciate you responding.

Yeah, it's definitely a huge hurdle.

What I think I might do is have a switch that people can toggle, where they get to choose whether it goes to charity or not. Because, even though this might be hard to believe, there are quite a few "quantified self" type folks who actually WOULDN'T want the money to go to charity because then they'd be less motivated given that the money was going to a good cause.

Also... that marathon scenario? I've done that exact sort of thing with friends several times in my life. A one-way bet that's purely for accountability. So we DO exist, but... maybe I'm just in a niche that's smaller than I think?

Thanks!

1. 1

Best of luck with it, I think you have something there with the right execution. Looking forward to seeing updates

22. 1

This comment was deleted 2 months ago.