August 10, 2018

What is your favorite tech stack?

I am wondering what is your favorite tech stack for developing projects. I am a big fan of Python. For desktop apps I go with PyQt/Numpy/PyQtGraph. For web (network) apps I normally go with Flask and for quick projects I go with Django. Any other pythonistas out there?

1. 12

Laravel + VueJS: Development is so easy and fast. Documentation is great.

1. 4

I agree. This is my preferred method too. Laravel + Vue makes development a pleasure.

1. 1

Absolutely <3

2. 4

Seconded. I absolutely love Laravel.

Although, I haven't dove into Vue quite yet - have mainly been using Blade.

Any tutorial recommendations for Vue? I've worked a tad with Angular/React so component-based isn't totally a foreign concept.

1. 5

For vue, look at this mostly free tutorial from laracasts. It's a great resource. Only last few lessons are Premium but the Free ones are good enough to start with.

https://laracasts.com/series/learn-vue-2-step-by-step

1. 3

Nice, and thanks! Totally didn't think to look there.

Cheers!

2. 2

Laracasts is my inspiration. I love everything about how Jeffery Way has built and run it. In fact, he'd be an amazing indiehacker for @csallen to interview if only there were someway to get him to disclose his massive income.

3. 0

Quick question, under what circumstances would you work with vue rather than laravel? Just trying to understand use cases outside of form validation.

1. 2

Laravel includes Vue as a built-in default. If you're using Laravel and you need a front-end framework, Vue is there for you (and the Laravel community understands it well).

You can also use Vue with other back-ends or use other front-ends with Laravel. There isn't any relationship between the two except that Vue is offered out of the box in a generated Laravel app.

2. 2

As soon as you have any frontend logic, Vue is what you want. You can f.e. add an item to a list, without reloading the page, but store it at the same time on the Server via AJAX Requests (AXIOS is what you wanna use here btw).

Many actions don't require the whole page to reload.

3. 1

Laravel with Blade alone is great, but if you want a super responsive website / web application you will need a frontend framework. As others mentioned Laravel comes with Vue and the community loves it because it integrates so smooth.

2. 6

For web apps, it's Elixir, Phoenix Framework and Postgres, by far. On the front-end, depending on complexity, I like UJS, Vue or Elm.

In fact, my current side project only exists because I got so into Elixir after seeing how much it could have helped my dying language-learning start up last year.

1. 2

I second this! I'm building my next startup in this stack and the codebase is open source (hoping it can be a valuable case study for the community interested in this stack): https://github.com/levelhq/level

1. 2

@derrickreimer wow your codebase looks really solid! I like your clean design too. Looks like you guys have put massive effort and focus into this!

Having such high quality codebases of real world projects with this stack is really good inspiration and a source for learning for people like me.

1. 1
    2. 2

Your videos continue to be one of the best resources on the planet to pick up Elixir rapidly!

1. 1

Thanks so much for your kind words!

3. 5

Java, Kotlin, Python

4. 4

Server: Node/TypeScript

Web: React/Typescript

5. 3

It used to be Laravel + Vue.js

But now I'm sane and it's Phoenix + Vue.js

https://phoenixframework.org/

6. 3

Golang / Angular

7. 3

In the past I've used a lot of Laravel + Vue with either MySQL or Mongo for DB. This is a super fast setup, and has great documentation.

Recently though, I've been using a lot of clojure for my backend work. Clojure has got to be my single favorite language to write in and I'd say is leaps above PHP. I'm still using Vue on the front-end, but I'm looking into Clojurescript so I can write it on both ends. Clojurescript has a nice library that integrates with React so that's where I'm currently exploring.

8. 3

For web applications without a server, I mainly use Vue.js framework, SASS for better CSS writing, Gulp for speeding up the development.

For web applications that need a server, I use also Django framework, Nginx server, AWS for hosting.

1. 1

Python is my favorite language, so naturally for my first SaaS I wanted to go Django, but had a hell of a time trying to just get the SaaS/Stripe/User Registration part out of the way. I tried https://github.com/pinax/pinax-stripe but it was buggy. After a few months I gave up

I ended up going with WordPress and a couple hundred $ of EDD plugins which handle Stripe/Recurring Payments etc.

Then I wrote a few thousand lines of Python that runs on a cronjob and checks if someone signed up, if they did then creates the HostiFi server, installs the application, and gives them login info.

Would've really liked to do this a better way, but just couldn't figure it out. So which libraries in Django do you use to get the Stripe/User account stuff out of the way so you can build the "actual" app?

1. 1

I don't know how to integrate Stripe (I'm not in a Stripe-supported country). For dealing with users, I think that Django documentation is good for that.

As a side note, you can try other payment services like Paddle, Fastspring, Recurly, Chargebee, etc. I haven't tried them but I think they will make it easier for you.

2. 1

After the frustration with Django and Flask, I'm actually pretty determined never to try it again. Leaning towards MEAN stack for next project, off of something like this https://github.com/eddywashere/node-stripe-membership-saas

9. 3

laravel. learning python.

1. 1

How are you learning Pyton? (Just out of curiosity)

10. 2

Ruby backend most of the time (Sinatra for small/medium projects, Rails for bigger ones). On the frontend side, I used to love AngularJS, not so much anymore, after working on a huge Angular app for my daily job the last 4 years...so mostly vanilla JS those days, I need to try and pick up React.

Those days, I'm also experimenting with NodeJS + express on the backend, I'm thinking of trying something else like Crystal someday, looks promising.

11. 2

For the web: VueJS, NodeJS, Postgres with Typeorm

With docker is easy and fast with hot reloading

For computing tasks and xml, Java\Dotnet.

And for machine learning, Python

And golang for infrastructure (K8s)

1. 1

Node (Typescript) + Typeorm is one of my favourite stacks, it's insanely easy to throw something together within a day.

I also have a default docker image that I use to quickly spin up a Postgres instance locally.

12. 2

Laravel PHP framework for the backend with MySQL database

Vue.js for Javascript framework

Webpack for build system (comes configured by default in Laravel 5)

Bootstrap 4 for styling

Laravel Forge for deployments (convenience layer that manages Digital Ocean infastructure)

Google Analytics for page and event tracking

Moving forward with my site https://employbl.com/ I'm going to add a blog and am looking into hosing it with Contentful. Currently all of the blog content is in a Medium publication: https://medium.com/employbl

I'm using Airtable and Google Sheets for storing data about companies that I update and upload to the database. Started using Airtable this week, highly recommend!

Hosting the project on Github private repository for version control

Medium, Twitter, Reddit, Quora, Indiehackers and LinkedIn for distribution channels right now

13. 2

Clojure, Clojurescript and PostgreSQL

14. 2

Ruby on Rails with Webpacker and Bulma. PostgreSQL as the database.

React if I need a javascript heavy frontend

Elixir/Phoenix when I want to get fancy or learn more about..Elixir and Phoenix.

15. 2

python all the way down ;)

16. 2

backend: PHP (Symfony), Nginx, Mysql, Redis

frontend: jQuery and started trying vue.js

17. 2

React Native and Firebase. I'd go Rails if I needed a basic back end but who has the time when you can achieve the same thing using a service

18. 1

Python is my favorite stack. AWS, jenkins, Django rest framework and react / react native. If I had to make a desktop app I'd try pyQT.

19. 1

BE: Ruby, Ruby on Rails

FE: Ember.js

DB: MySQL, Redis, ElasticSearch

20. 1

React Node is usually what I prefer, I still absolutely hate SSR React tho.

21. 1

Exactly like you do, Django for quick CRUD, Flask for custom APIs (but I'm currently checking Django REST framework which looks awesome).

For the frontend, I almost always go with Nuxt (SSR/static websites using VueJS).

22. 1

I love working with Node (backend), MongoDB (database), and React (client)

23. 1

I recently launched my first side project lynks.in using following

1. Django for backend.

2. Bootstrap4 for frontend.

3. Postgres as primary data store.

24. 1

The MEAN (MongoDB, Express, Angular.js, Node) stack! But I'm starting to learn and like React better than Angular so my stack of choice will likely soon become MERN.

25. 1

I do Python + Django at the day job, great stuff. Normally use Go and Postgres for bootstrapping. React for the frontend. Some day I may check out Vue since it seems like it could be faster to build with.

26. 1

Backend: Rails, MySQL

Frontend: React + Redux

Deployment: AWS Lightsail (very cheap), Capistrano

27. 1

I love the combo of:

Backend: Go with Kubernetes + Pubsub

Frontend: React + Redux

28. 1

React and Play Framework (Scala)

29. 1

Vue + Go + PostgreSQL - for now, it is my favorite stack.

30. 1

HTML, CSS, JS - Node js for server & jQuery for animation.

31. 1

Grails + React

32. 1

Nuxt - Serverside vue, selection of plugins to get up quickly

Graphql/apollo server/Node - Found graphql easier to maintain then REST apis, apollo server come with mocking and monitoring out the box

arangodb - Polygot database - document, key-value, graphs, search

33. 1

I work with Python/Django for backend and recently started with VueJs for frontend. Java for Android as well

34. 1

Meteor + React + Apollo + Mobx-State-Tree

35. 1

React + Ruby on Rails + Mongo (we also use Postgres for archived records)

36. 1

React + Node. js (express/apollo). But looking to switch to something more productive and all-inclusive. Maybe Rails or Django.

37. 1

ReactJs (FE), React-Native (Mobile), Nodejs (BE)

38. 1

Node.js, React, GraphQL

39. 1

This comment was deleted 2 months ago.