December 1, 2018

What is your go-to tech stack?

Just would like to find what every one else uses.

My Current Stack:

• NodeJs (Epxress + Pug + Webpack)

• MySQL

• VueJs

• Bootstrap

1. 7

For 95% of things my current stack is

Backend: Elixir/Phoenix, Postgres

Frontend: Bootstrap, occasionally react where needed, Apollo when doing graphql stuff.

1. 2

I'm thinking of using Phoenix as well, can you tell me if you can create just a JSON API to hook into react instead of using Phoenix for server side pages, and if so, how?

1. 2

Phoenix is great for making JSON APIs.

Unlike Rails or Django, the overhead is minimal vs just using Plug/Sinatra/Flask, so there's little reason to jettison it.

1. 2

You run alchemist.camp! I've been using your videos to learn Elixir, great stuff, thanks! Do you have any about using Phoenix to create just an API without all the frontend templating and whatnot? I'm looking to use it for Vue.

1. 2

Thank you for your kind words!

No, I don't, but I'm planning a short series on the topic. A couple of others have emailed this exact request.

2. 5

Craft CMS (headless if needed)

PHP

MySQL

JQuery

I suppose I would need to work on my JavaScript skills but the turnaround with these “classic” tools time is working too well for the moment for me to start fiddling around, and not comfortably meeting deadlines.

3. 5

My stacks either are:

• Clojure + Clojurescript + PostgreSQL. I really like Luminus.

• Elixir + React + PostgreSQL. Phoenix channels are really cool.

1. 2

I usually build my stuff using Postgres with either elixir + phoenix or ruby + rails, but I really want to stay away from react/angular/whatever-js on the frontend.

I've been experimenting with a full clojure app on the frontend and backend and I'm enjoying it. It's good to be able to use one language for everything, but it's going to take a while to get used to it.

4. 4

My default stack is:

Backend:

• Elixir

• Phoenix

• PostgreSQL

Frontend:

• VueJS

• TailwindCSS or Bootstrap

• Soon to be Phoenix LiveView

5. 4

Interesting to see Elixir and Clojure get a lot of interest here, I would've expected all JS with Node and React.

6. 4

Rails, mongodb, stimulusjs and bootstrap.

If you're just starting out I really recommend keeping it simple and away from javascript frontends like Vue. What I like about stimulus is that it feels so lightweight, but it's very descriptive and that means I can look at the HTML and know exactly what will happen.

7. 3

I’m more of a serverless guy myself.

The stack for https://appreviewbot.com is:

• React for the frontend

• Hosted on S3

• Cloudfront for CDN

• API Gateway and AWS lambda for the API

• DynamoDB for data storage

• Lambdas power the review collection

• Cloudwatch for monitoring/alerting

I am particularly fond of this stack since you can get really far without having to pay anything.

8. 3

React/Redux

Express

Sequelize

Postgres

Heroku

9. 3
    • Golang

• ArangoDB, CockroachDB (depends on app)

• Angular/React (depends on app)

• Bootstrap

10. 3

Very similar to @shawn_maplegum, for just about any web-based projects I use the following:

Backend:

Elixir/Phoenix, Postgres, Absinthe if I need GraphQL.

I sometimes use Rails for some more traditional projects or quick throwaway MVPs, but I'll probably never voluntarily choose Node again.

Frontend:

Preferably just Turbolinks/Stimulus JS or Vue in specific pages.

If it's really a full-blown web app, I'll use React+Apollo.

Styling:

Bootstrap SCSS is still the quickest and easiest for a quick project, but I've been playing around bit with Vue Element and with Material Design.

1. 2

*stimulus

1. 1
    2. 2

Interesting to see you use Vue for one off pages and react for full apps. I've not spent much time at all with Vue to be honest but I would have thought the opposite would be more common. Is it really easy to use in a component or one off page use case then? Might have another look if so.

1. 3

To me Vue now feels like React did in 2014. It's easier and faster to get started, it's gaining steam quickly, has a ton of github stars but isn't so big in terms of professional use (outside China, at least). React's usage leans more towards the enterprisey side in 2018, just like Angular of 2014.

Vue is about as easy to drop into a project as jQuery. What really opened my eyes in terms of its use with back-end MVCs was what the Laravel community was doing with it.

1. 3

Thanks for that perspective.

I am new to Vue and have not instrumented React or Angular either.

But I find Vue easier to learn and implement. Haven't had a chance to do server-side rendering yet but its next in the list.

I will explore React & Angular to see how they compare.

2. 2

Thanks for that info. I noticed one of the designers I work with had a bunch of vue repos on their github profile today. I'll give it another look.

11. 2

Rails, Postgres, Redis, Hatchbox on DigitalOcean, and Bootstrap. Looking into Spectre.css as well as it's soooo much lighter than Bootstrap.

12. 2

Python

Flask

Postgres

Heroku

Docker

13. 2

Node.js/Jemini

GraphQL

PostgreSQL

React

Tailwind CSS

Heroku/Dokku

14. 2

Depends on the project, but I have a couple:

On web:

1. Firebase / React

2. Heroku / PostgreSQL / Rails / React

For Styling, lately I have been using Bulma / TailwindCSS and trying to get away from Bootstrap as much as possible.

On mobile, I use Flutter.

1. 1

I'm a user of Bulma and was thinking of taking a look at Boostrap, just to see why it's so much used. So, out of curiosity, why do you try to get away from it ?

1. 2

Basically, most people throw it on there including all the plugins/etc. It's a huge amount of CSS / JS and most sites don't need all of it.

1. 1

Yeah, but it speeds up the development process quite a bit once you get used to it. I don't find that extra css/js to be that much overhead and it does not impact the overall experience (let's be honest, we're talking about a few hundreds kb at most)

1. 1

Yes and no. I don't find any of the JS useful as I'm all React now, and the built-in stuff just isn't great. The CSS is fine, but even a lot of it isn't useful, compared to say, Bulma. It was great 4 years ago, but now it's just bloat.

15. 2

Currently still in the prototyping phase, so right now it's Foundation and JQuery on the frontend, which is accessible to me as a designer. We'll be building with Rails/Postgres/Puma/Nginx, according to my full stack partner. Overall, we're trying to keep things as simple and maintainable as possible, leveraging our current skills.

I've been reading a bit about Stimulus, and will try some experiments with it to see if it has a place in the project.

16. 2

Ruby On Rails

React/Angular

AWS Beanstalk

Bootstrap + Material Design

17. 2

Clojure, ClojureScript, Postgres, Heroku, Bootstrap.

That's what powers https://trolley.link (and any other ideas I've come up with in the last few years)

18. 2

Dirty PoC: (small functionality I do not think I will iterate)

Backend: PHP + json files

Frontentd: Bootstrap

PoC: (I think I will iterate)

Backend: PHP + [Mysql] (sometimes JSON files for first versions) + [slim] + [rest api] (if Frontend has react)

Frontend: Bootstrap + [react] (if I think I will need to iterate many times)

Extra details:

• PHP as backend because I am comfortable with it and deployments are a matter of a ftp or rsync command.

• Lately I am playing with firebase or any other similar solution as backend instead of PHP + JSON files for PoC. I do not have any conclusion yet. But probably I will blog about it.

• I am not really with any of the backend frameworks I have used. Laravel is so huge for my usual needs. Lumen falls short easily and you end up needeing to update to Laravel. Slim is what I recently use, but meh...

19. 2

For every idea I come up with, I use

• Django, whichever is the latest version

• Templates From Bootstrap

• Launch it on Heroku

• Static Files on AWS S3

20. 1

As a guy who does feel completely overwhelm by all this JS frontend choices, and not very comfortable with so many options I try to keep it simple:

• Ruby on Rails (5)

• Bootstrap (4)

• JQuery

• VPS with Ubuntu Server

My project is not extremely technical (tourist and business information and consultation) but I get to earn some money.

21. 1

Node with React, Bootstrap, Express, and MongoDB.

22. 1

Unnamed Product (a Mac application):

• Swift

• RxSwift

Website (https://nottoobadsoftware.com/, just a blog at the moment, landing page coming soon):

23. 1

Backend:

• Python, Chalice

• AWS Lambda, APIGW, DynamoDB, Cognito, SNS, SQS

Frontend:

• JavaScript, React, Redux, Semantic UI, Hugo

• CloudFront, S3

Operations:

• Datadog, Stripe, Segment, StatusPage, CircleCI
  24. 1

I can do multiple stacks, but so far mostly use Rails + PG.

I don't have much preferences in front-end stacks, but i avoid react/vue as a plague. I tend to lean to somethings simpler -- turbolinks/stimulus and/or riotjs.

I also didn't found my perfect css stack -- so far i'm experimenting with bulma and tailwindcss on my main projects.

Most of the projects I host on heroku. CircleCI has a very generous free tier that I abuse to get static code analytics and to run automated test on every pull request in github.

25. 1
    • Python is my go-to language.

• Django is my web framework of choice. Sometimes I'll use Flask for a quick prototype. Sometimes even Jekyll for non-database projects.

• Django Rest Framework is my goto Rest/API framework

• Postgres is my database of choice

• Tailwind CSS is my goto CSS framework

• Digital Ocean serves my projects

• Github for public projects

• Gitlab for private projects (better account and CI options)

26. 1

Mine:

Postgres

Django (particularly DRF)

NuxtJS

Vuetify

I'm a primarily python/Django developer in my real job, so I stick with that for the sake of familiarity. I find VueJS is the javascript framework that seems the least alien to me, and I use vuetify as it's completely invaluable as a non-designer and means I almost never have to write any css.

I also find that you can run the above stack using docker compose with amazon EC2 and RDS and stay mostly within the free tier

27. 1

Firebase + node

can cost pennies if you know what you're doing and super simple to start.

28. 1

Whatever solves the problem well and is easily maintainable.

AWS Lambda, API Gateway, Dynamo/Aurora, etc.

29. 1

My Current Stack:

30. 1

All JavaScript! I primarily use MongoDB, Express, Angular (v1 still), and Node but I'm also starting to work with GraphQL and React.

31. -1

This comment has been voted down. Click to show.

1. 2

Keyword Bingo

2. 2

It's that your actual go to stack? Some of those things don't really make sense for the question?

1. 1

That is my stack

1. 3

Right but like blue-green pattern is a deployment strategy not part of a tech stack.

Multi-tenancy again is a technique not part of a tech stack.

"scale postgres multi-node with catalog db" what is catalog db? I've used postgres for over a decade and I've never heard of it and a google search turns up nothing?

DBaaS is how you host your database but again not really anything to do with a chosen stack.

Your go to stack for a new project includes consul, app server clusters, and multi-node postgres? That seems overly complicated. The whole thing seems a bit like keyword bingo.

1. -1

1. 2

It's not too complicated to understand it's too complicated to be real. I've architected and built some very large high traffic advertising platforms before. I know scaling. I also know when someone is making stuff up trying to sound cool. If you do honestly use half this stuff as your go to stack you're a bad engineer and need to take some time off technical blogs from FAANG companies.

Blue green deployment strategies don't replace dev servers at all. They are about reducing downtime and detecting faults in deployments nothing to do with dev servers.

Great could you link to the paper? About "postgres multi-node with catalog db"? I'd love to read it.

1. -1

1. 1

I don't see anything about catalog db there?

Anyhow I agree this is just getting embarrassing to read.

If lying about this makes you feel better though you need to reevaluate your priorities.

1. 1

Again you attack me.

Quote from azure

"Sharding adds complexity both to the design and operational management. A catalog is required in which to maintain the mapping between tenants and databases."

The catalog db is in my environment, while the multiple postgres db nodes are a DBaaS so they continue to scale limitless.

My market serves 109 million users. And i want a system that does not require re engineering as i grow.

As i said this is my go to stack, operational and error free.

We have built 4 SaaS products all live and growing.

32. 1

This comment was deleted 14 days ago.

33. 1

This comment was deleted 14 days ago.

34. 1

This comment was deleted 15 days ago.

35. 1

This comment was deleted 15 days ago.