January 13, 2019

What Would You Say About WordPress in 2019?

Hi guys,

I'm in the process of writing up an article about the state of WP in 2019.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on what's good, bad, what's coming ahead, etc.

Cheers, Baptiste.

PS: Don't hesitate to add a link where I should point to, or your website :)

1. 4

While some people think that Gutenberg is not a right movement by WordPress team, but I think they had to. They won't be able to dominate the market with a text editor, they really needed to create a visual page builder even sooner than 2019.

I'm agree that Gutenberg was not (and is not) ready for the mass market, but they have a great foundation for future development. I've been developing a landing page builder on top of Gutenberg in the past couple months, and really like the structure and components of Gutenberg. I guess phase 2 of Gutenberg would attract more users to start using it.

1. 2

Great point. I do agree with you. It will also help reduce the number of plugins used.

Mind sharing your page builder with us? Happy to include it in my article if that makes sense.

1. 2

That is part of a premium theme right now, but I'm thinking about creating a standalone page builder on top of Gutenberg few months later.

My main idea is to develop pages rapidly with a lot of blocks available without much customization options. You can find what's doable in http://thetheme.io/thesaasx/ , list of blocks in http://thetheme.io/thesaasx/block/ and a gif from page builder in http://thetheme.io/thesaasx/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/page-builder.gif . I just released it yesterday.

1. 1

Great, thanks, including a mention.

2. 1

What do you think Gutenberg is missing? I've been using it on my site since the beta was released and I find it pretty compelling.

1. 1

From the end-users side, we can't ignore the plugin review: https://wordpress.org/plugins/gutenberg/#reviews

From developers perspective, you can see open issues regards Block API and Extensibility. The most frustrating issue for me was Block Validation which forced me to use dynamic blocks which means writing my block code twice, both in JS and PHP. Also, there's a very loose-coupled connection between Block API of JS and PHP. I had to use a JSON file to make this connection. Also, the block inserter was adding a class name to each block category, so you could target each category from CSS. It has removed in recent versions. I've changed the block design of my blocks in the inserter to have a preview image as you might see in http://thetheme.io/thesaasx/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/page-builder.gif . As you can see, the preview image is too small. If I want to increase the block size in inserter to be for example two blocks in each row, it would affect all the categories. I know it's better for the sake of consistency, but still I need this change for the sake of usability.

There's more to talk about. I was using Gutenberg probably from June 2018 and tried to develop my page builder. A lot of problems have resolved, but still a lot of them have remained. But I'm sure it going to be much better after phase 2.

1. 1

Got it. I might argue that the advent of Gutenberg potentially obviates the need for third-party "Page Builders" in a high percent of end-user use cases.

These user reviews don't surprise me, for a software with a user base this broad making a major interface change (eBay got similar hatemail after their major revamp in 2004.

I do think it's a pretty transparent reaction to Ghost and Squarespace's interfaces, but I would much rather WP have core editor that's 2019 modern than have to worry about some third party building out a "slick" editor that may or may not be supported if we change or replace a theme.

2. 4

I hate that for many ignorants, Wordpress became synonymous for PHP.

1. 1

That's one way of seeing it. But what do you expect for it down the line? :)

1. 2

I would have to say that in the developer community at least, Wordpress is still a joke.

1. 1

Depends -- I would not say much.

3. 3

I switched to using Hugo, as I felt WordPress was/is overkill for a simple blog

4. 3

Well in 2018, according to Venturebeat WordPress did have about 30% of all websites. About 5% more as the year before. I would personally be surprised if it is declining.

Yes I know that there's alternatives that are popular with techies, but WP is the system that is easy to use by people who are comfortable with MS Office. Then there's the enormous ecosystem around it with plugins and themes. Loads of developers, designers and hosters who are able to support WP.

I'd say that it is going strong and still growing.

1. 1

So would I.

But I think that we will see a change in terms of usage, from "simple" use-case to more entreprise solutions.

1. 1

Yes, that exactly describes the trend I see with my customers that I provide hosting services for. In the past I had built custom websites for them, now most of them are on WordPress and have a lot more freedom. Both in what they can do with their site(s) as well as where they can go.

With trends where governments create law where data should be stored, it is good that site owners have that particular freedom and can move their sites because "it's just a WP site" and basically everybody can host that.

5. 2

Totally underrated platform for rapid project development. You've got this really quick-to-setup framework for user accounts and permissions. You've got this vast ecosystem of plugins which are typically priced very inexpensively. You've got the biggest population of developers to choose from. And you've got loads of managed hosting options and cloud-based solutions which can now spin up instances in seconds -- and they scale.

eg: I helped a friend spin up a Wordpress instance on a 2GB Cloudways server (front-ending for Google Cloud) about a month ago. I installed Memberpress and integrated with Stripe to take credit cards. The whole process took about 30 minutes and he had a decent framework to build a project on. (He's sort of technical but not really. That setup is going to be perfect for him. Now it's just a matter of putting in the hours.)

People love to $h*^ on Wordpress the same way they love to $h*^ on Jquery. Let them. Wordpress will never be cool from a technical perspective. But going from zero to launch in a weekend, having a setup that a semi-technical founder can manage and having an MVP that works -- that's pretty cool from an IH perspective.

1. 1

Amazing feedback. Thanks for sharing :)

If you want me to add the point to the article, ping me by email or on Twitter

6. 2

Just wrote this piece:

https://blog.blogsend.io/2019-01-13/platform-spotlight-wordpress

In 2019, it's still the most accessible platform out there for bloggers (mind you perhaps not techies). The sheer amount of customisation options and plugins are unsurpassed.

That being said it's aging software. Gutenberg was a huge improvement though, but I do agree with @hosshams in that its designed to pay off in time, not immediately. They took what they saw from the Medium experience and started implementing a system similar.

1. 2

Cool, thanks for sharing. Will see if I can include your article :)

2. 1

"WordPress" has a capital P.

1. 2

Thanks @zuccs, I changed it!

7. 1

Proper headless or API-first integration

8. 1

Wordpress will stay next 10 years and slowly die.

9. 1

I think they might lose power users and some agencies over Gutenberg, especially with all the new CMSes that have shown up over the last few years. Other than that I think they're pretty much set to keep growing.

1. 1

Can you give more details on that? Why do you think "might lose power users and some agencies over Gutenberg"?

10. 0

there should be a new wordpress built on nodejs in 2019

1. 4

Check out Ghost

2. 1

Yeah!! :)

1. 5

ghost falls behind wordpress big time in terms of community, ecosystem (extensions aka plugins), market share etc