These are my top 10 questions to think about when brainstorming for new business opportunities.
- What successful companies are resting on their laurels?
- What products have gone so far up-market that a broad base of customers can no longer afford them?
- What successful products have critical flaws for a subset of users?
- What products are people using for a different purpose than originally intended?
- What popular products are extensible and could be augmented to work even better for a particular niche?
- What inefficiencies can be solved by borrowing new technology and applying it to an older space?
- What areas have a bunch of new people looking to join who are willing to spend money to succeed faster?
- What popular products have been acquired and shut down, leaving a void of demand?
- What companies have stopped listening to their customers?
- What companies are unable to keep up with feature demands because of legacy?