I think this content might be valuable for y'all! I'm sharing the key takeaways of our 6 guests on Audience Building for founders live stream. Here is the session if you want to watch it https://twitter.com/josberco/status/1311312929778667520?s=21
Warren Schirtzinger - CoCreator of "The Chasm" framework (Crossing the Chasm) on General Strategy for audience building
- Most powerful method is WOM
- Any industry/segment has a marketing infrastructure or ecosystem (see original tweet with the framework to build your audience attached: https://twitter.com/josberco/status/1311834362061746176?s=21
- 10% of the ecosystem will influence the other 90%.
- The key is to find the top 10%. They will start and boost the WOM process.
- Check the video for an example of how it worked with a Hybrid VC - minute 8.
- The pyramid is a great market validation tool too: If you just have an idea, go out to talk with every layer of the ecosystem and talk to them as a part of the validation. This way, you start validating at the time of building an audience.
- Risk perception makes a huge difference in how your value proposition (selling t-shirt vs financial product) and messaging should be built. What is your audience losing if your product fails? 1h 12 minutes
Michele Hsu @revgabba on personal audience building
- Twitter poll respondents: 20% build product before audience, 27% audience firs, 57% build audience + product simultaneously, 3% not plan to build an audience.
- Everybody has a different definition of what an audience is. Some think it's sales. Another thinks it's a huge social media presence.
- Read crossing the Chasm and use The Chasm framework by Warren, one of our mentors at @growthseekerio.
- Follow accounts with 500 to 5000 followers that are your audience. Use sparktoro.com to find them.
- Turn on notifications when they tweet. Every time they tweet, be the first to engage. It drives a lot of visitors and engagements to have more followers. Use syften.com to listen ans answer posts.
- DM 1:1 to your audience. Ask for their feedback on your landing page or product. Tweet something and ask for input. 9/10 are going to engage with you!
- Indiehackers and producthunt are self-reference. Find more places where your audience is and diversify.
- Use hypefury.com to schedule tweets and develop an audience.
- Audience building is more than online.
Mina Abdu - founder advertex.co on B2B
- Narrow down the audience all you can to start - it helps define your messaging.
- Know who your audience is - this definition is tied to your value proposition and what problem you will solve for them.
- Find your unique selling point. How are you different from your competition?
- Research a lot where your target audience is and focus. For them is crunchbase. Where is your audience? Leverage @sparktoro
- Message your audience consistently in the platform they use. Keep pumping out that messaging and promotion.
View the video to know how is he doing it for his own startup - minute 32
Rebeca Sanz - healthtech on B2B Enterprise
- Connection - Improve your relationship with your existing customer base to increase the WOM.
- Collaboration - Find partners to improve your go-to market strategy.
- Community - Empower your customers to collaborate and share among them to increase WOM and referrals.
Mark Montgomery- Strategic Angel Investor nexme.com (B2B + B2C)
- They are leveraging twitter and Linkedin to grow a personal audience that fits in nexme.com target and can ultimately be customers.
- Engage immediately with people that ask/talk through SN.
- Grow your audience with PR marketing. Hire an expert.
- Have local partners to cross-reference audience/customers. Co-brand.
- On B2B
- Reaching out and finding new partners was helpful as a new startup to build up credibility quickly.
- Be concise in your Value Prop. Tailor it with the audience you are talking too. What is your USP for each decision-maker in B2B?
- Find your audience and champion them publicly to build strong relationships. It will pay back in the future.
- Reshare and repost your audience messages before connecting with them.
- Make a personal video to connect with the audience while outreaching—80% response rate.
- Guerrilla marketing for DTC / B2C:
- Stickers with QR code. Interact with people physically and create a digital + traditional marketing loop.
- They are manufacturing extra samples to donate t-shirts. The shirts come with a QR sticker that drives the user to the social media and/or web to purchase more shirts.
B2B vs B2C
- Everything is B2Person. No matter what you are talking about, there is a person at the end of the line. The only difference is where your audience is? No matter if B2B or B2C, there are people with motivations, pains, and jobs to be done.
- B2B it's not only a single decision-maker. There is a committee with persons with different sets of motivations. How your Value Prop fulfills the individual motivations in the B2B and some B2C buying committees and how does your messaging fit with those motivations?
- You have to know who is your purchasing decision unit. Find who your champion is in the purchasing decision unit.
Comment this thread if you have questions on audience building! Happy to help!
If you think this tips might be useful, please RT the original tweet. I'd really appreciate it https://twitter.com/josberco/status/1311833042172997632?s=21