Last week, I started cold emailing. The result was 20% visits, without any paying convert. Here are 4 things I learned:
1. Filter contacts
- I started by collecting a big list of contacts. Then learn about them online, looking for people that might need your product. Each contact I spend about 15-25 mins (should be less). Skip if the contact doesn't fit. Then groups them (i.e by careers) for different email content.
- Useful places to learn about your contact are their social media (.ie Instagram, Behance, personal website) and blog.
2. Use mail merge
- Google Sheets and AppsScripts is great. In the sheets, I have a column called "opener", which is 1-2 sentences talked about something I find interesting about their works. The batches that I spent way more time researching have ~40% more clicks through.
- Write short emails. Because it's much easier to read. I followed the below template. I made several templates based on the contact group (in #1). I found emails with a straightforward tone have more clicks vs funny, salesy, or encouraging emails
- Warm-up email to avoid being blacklisted. It means sending less than 40 emails in the first few days. Since I spent way too much time research, it wasn't a problem anyway.
P/s: I rebuilt the AppsScripts, adding some more features (i.e check sending quota, better message template), let me know if you need.
Email template that I followed (I can't the original post anymore)
3. Track Open?
- I'm not so sure if a track for open was necessary. I enable for half of the batches I send, but not showing much difference.
- Besides, I used AppsScripts for tracking. Somehow it only works for Gmail contacts
4. Hit send
- Most of us hate being spammed, and that made me hesitate to send sometimes. So when filter contacts, I did my best to make sure it's somewhat relevant
I didn't expect much. Except to learn about more cold emailing. Most emails won't get a reply. Sometimes, you'll get a convert. Sometimes, you might get an intro.
This post was originally posted on my blog
Next time, I might try different and better landing page for each contact group