I am the founder of Remotextra, which is a remote software developer job board with transparent salaries. I launched 3 weeks ago, and now I am trying to grow the job board. I know the market is pretty crowded, but I am trying to fix the annoyances that I faced when I was looking for a job. So far I have 0$ revenue, I manually enter all the posts I find across the internet. I usually spend an hour every day to find new jobs.
Anyways, just wanted to share my experience with you guys on growing the job board:
What I did so far
- Created Facebook and Twitter pages.
- Paid traffic. I spend 10$ a day on facebook ads, this nets me the majority of my traffic, around 80 unique visitors a day. This makes it around 0.1$/visitor which seems like a fair deal to me, but I am not really experienced.
- Launched on most of the places listed in this post. My reddit posts got around 10-20 upvotes, and my ProductHunt launch was unfortunately a miss. I think this is because it is not really an innovative product, and maybe just doesn't have that wow factor. I would say I get about 10 visitors a day from these sources.
- Integrated twitter, each job post gets posted on Remotextra Twitter Page, but I get no traffic from twitter. Most likely because I don't have any followers and the hashtags are just not doing it.
- Created a blog, and wrote my first article. This is mostly for sharing on social media, maybe I will try to boost one of my articles to see if that nets me some extra visitors.
- Implemented a subscribe-to-receive-new-posts kind of newsletter. So far I have 10 subscribers.
What I plan on doing
- Lower the price. Right now it costs 99$ to post a new ad, which is below the market average, but it might still be too high for a new site. I have a daily average of 110-120 unique visitors, that adds up to around 3500 a month. I will definitely try to play with the numbers.
- Gain social media followers. Mostly with writing powerful blog posts and asking people with more followers to share if they like it.
- Keep on developing new features. I will dynamically create custom og images for each job post so on share they provide more information.
- Display numbers on the landing page. Currently I get around 10k page views from 3k visitors a month. I will somehow try to display that to show the recruiter the value they get for their money.
- Keep facebook ads as my primary source of traffic for a while. Currently I can afford 300$ month for marketing purposes and I feel like this is the most value I get for my money. :)
If you got so far, thank you for reading this! I would highly appreciate any kind of feedback or criticism or tips.