Tip: Get more sales by refunding churned customers

When a customer churns, it's in your best interest to part on good terms. Foster goodwill and positive word-of-mouth by giving refunds when they're requested.

According to @Ankit_Kaknut, he got his first customer for Growthfyi Headlines because of a refund. When a customer on a previous (SaaS) product asked for their money back, Ankit handed it over, despite having a "no refund" policy. Later, when he launched another project, he informed the ex-customer and they immediately bought it — like, within seconds. His earlier refund, it seems, fostered goodwill and trust which paid off in the end. And it likely helped to maintain his good reputation and elicit positive word-of-mouth. Just make sure to get a good understanding of what happened so that you can make improvements. And if you can't handle it from a cash flow perspective, consider shorter billing cycles.

More 30-second growth tips?

Every day we share a tiny, bite-sized tip for growing your business. Click here to see more and get Growth Bites in your inbox 👌

  1. 2

    More importantly, not refunding a customer (especially when they asked for it) puts your Stripe account at risk of suspension, particularly when chargebacks are filed.

    I think the standard is very strict, something like 0.8% of payments.

    Meaning you can only have 8 disputes/1,000 payments you receive.

    More and you're considered a high-risk account liable for suspension.

    Also I totally agree that refunding before they ask for it builds goodwill, especially when virtually no business does this.

    1. 3

      It's me Ankit.

      That was surely not the case here, I wasn't using Stripe plus I clearly mentioned my refund policy (no refunds) which keeps me on the safe side.

      I just gave it because he asked for it and I know being a kind version helps.


  2. 2

    Fully agreed. I’ve always offered refunds. I offer a 60 day refund period on Doka. It’s saved me from a lot of negative situations. It’s much healthier to give a refund and focus on the next customer than to start a discussion. I also offer refunds liberally when I have the feeling the customer might’ve purchased the wrong product (for example they need lots of features that aren’t there), 90% of the time they don’t want it and the other 10% is surprised by customer service.

    1. 2

      I'm a big fan of your product. I guess I first saw it on CSS Tricks(not sure though).

      Great product, keep building.

    2. 1

      💪 Nice, thanks for chiming in!

Trending on Indie Hackers
Let's discuss databases? :D I would like to know about your database and your journey in using it 43 comments I'm 14 year old. I built my side project in 4 hrs and sold it for $2K within 4 days of Launch. Here is my Journey 🎉 25 comments List of places to submit your startup (for free!) 18 comments I'm 20 years old and launched an app that went #1 on the App Store. AMA. 17 comments I'm launching a new app and looking for feedback on the sales page 7 comments 💔 Y-Combinator rejection to new SAAS launch 🚀 5 comments