It took about 4.5 months, 39 issues, and the work of going through thousands of research papers to find the right ones, but we are finally here - at a crucial milestone: 1,000+ subscribers.
What went well:
- Subscribers are mostly professional marketers who I expect can easily expense a future paid version to their companies
- Great feedback, both from professionals and marketing professors whose research I cover
- Growing LinkedIn network and following
- Slow but steady word of mouth
- 3 traffic spikes: 2 articles on the front page of HN, and 1 mention in Marketing Brew (newsletter to 100+K marketers)
What could go better:
- Need to find a way to accelerate word of mouth and conversions (ideas: a new landing page + referral program)
- Need to find new consistent growth channels beyond LinkedIn
- Need to build my Twitter presence, which is almost non-existent
If you think 'Wow he's growing fast!': Keep in mind I am working on this full time and I had a decent existing network in the marketing field before this
If you think 'Wow he's growing slow!': Keep in mind my ideal target market isn't overly broad, and any suggestions for growing faster are welcome!