Although I had the idea, there were a lot of unanswered questions. The main one is whether an online platform to create charts would even work. Maybe there were no platforms because it was just not worth it.
I delved into the project and settled on using google charts as a graphing library, react with typescript as a front end, AWS Amplify for hosting and ant-design for the component library.
After toiling away for about two weeks, I came up with a proof of concept that allowed me to past some data into a text box and create a canned chart.
I pared back my ambitions and decided to avoid the complications posed by manipulating data. I didn't want to re-create Excel. When I removed that constraint, the rest became a lot more manageable.
I still had to build out the functionality to have multiple data sets and charts and chart options. I also had to build out everything else, but I was satisfied with my conclusion that there is a way forward.