December 26, 2019

Idea

Elijah Wilson @elijah_wilson

After working at three startups, I had to use webhooks in different ways at each one. I kept running into some problems with them though. At one company, we didn't have zero-downtime deployments so if we were deploying then we would lose webhooks. In addition, we were using Salesforce to update data in our main application and instead of polling we wanted to use webhooks but Salesforce doesn't provide them.

At the next two companies I worked at, I continued to deal with webhooks. From chat to payments to support systems, webhooks were everywhere; and we became increasingly reliant on them being processed properly and promptly.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find a way to get good visibility into all of these webhooks since they were coming from different sources. Github has a nice UI, but almost the rest had to be created by API. This lead to forgetting about which webhooks were being triggered and from where.

I decided to start a project to solve my own problem. Originally called HookCaptain, I changed to HookActions with the idea of making webhooks more modern.

Loading comments...