I want to start building up more traffic sources, so in August I started searching relevant keywords on Twitter and liking/interacting posts by good potential customers. It's tedious work, but it can be done in 5-minute increments here and there when there's not time to do something else. There was a lot of noise and garbage just using the regular search, so I decided to automate some of the filtering.
Towards the end of last month, I built a little ruby process that searches the Twitter firehose for relevant keywords and passes those tweets into a curated timeline after doing a little bit of filtering and a first-pass of excluding things that aren't relevant. The results are WAY more targeted than the regular search.
In the first few weeks of August I went from 100 to 135 followers. In the last week I've gone from 135 to 200. Right now I only tweet about once or twice a month (whenever I post a blog), but I'm going to start thinking about how I can ratchet that up as I continue to add followers.
I'll likely also pin a coupon to the top of my feed and see if that drives any traffic.