In October, Is It Keto began selling its first product: downloadable meal plans.
I made my first sale within two hours of going live. I spent the rest of the month trying to make more sales and only managed to sell to one additional customer.
Here are the experiments I attempted, in short:
- Replace AdSense ads on other parts of my site with self-ads for my meal plan product
- Result: It might have increased visits to my sales page, but the change is too small to be meaningful.
- Reduce prices from $14.99 to $4.99
- Result: No sales after two days (cut short the experiment)
- Offer discount in exchange for feedback about the meal plans
- Result: Only one user provided feedback but did not follow through with a purchase
- Pitch to reddit users one-by-one
- Result: Tried this for a few days, but was too labor intensive and was not yielding any results.
- Revert to sales copy from the smoke test
- Result: Similar percentage of users clicked the "Buy button" but only one completed checkout.
- Put more detail into sales pages
- Result: No new sales, still working on this one.
For the full writeup, check out my October retrospective: