So last time we updated we discussed the progress we were making with 2.0, a new prototype we'd built for our software for account managers and how we were going to test it with user feedback session. As we conducted these sessions it dawned on us that while the feedback was good, there was a problem with what we were doing.
The pretty prototype only hinted at the full functionality we hoped to build one day. People weren't REALLY using the product, instead they were extrapolating in their mind what the final product would be able to accomplish - we were basically hinting at something wonderful so their response was good too.
In our goal to make a "unique" product, a tool that would help account managers with all their daily tasks, we had tacked on so many features (which were already a shortlist of all the things we had imagined) together. A product like this didn't exist - in the same manner that the combination of 10 different lottery digits is almost impossible to guess. It was also full of positive things - but we hadn't really resolved the technical ways that these problems were going to be solved.
Having realised this, we worried that it would be another long winding road (like Luma 1.0), before we had something in front of users that was truly useful.
We made a decision. We are a small nimble team so we decided to make a small nimble product. We've taken ONE of the ideas we had from 2.0 (a more efficient and organised system for taking down meeting notes) and expanded and grown the idea. This is what we've been working on the last 2 months, and it's almost ready for users.
As users of products we really love simple, fast and clever software. So we've really focused on those characteristics for this new product. We hope we have achieved it, and if not, we hope that having users on a small product means we can tinker here and there until we meet those high standards.