Super excited about this milestone — the fact that 5,000 people trusted me enough to give me their email address means a lot to me. I'm hoping to keep Maker Mind growing this fast even though it's been stalling for the past week due to no big "hit" article.
How did I get there?
- July 9th, 2019 — Sent the first newsletter out to about 300 existing subscribers on my personal list, who I hadn't emailed in about 9 months.
- July 22nd, 2019 — My first article hit the front page of HN!
- August and September — Several more articles hit the front page of HN and a couple got quite popular on Twitter, which resulted in being picked up by a few other newsletters and aggregator. Most of my traffic these two months came from social media. I reached about 1,000 subscribers at the end of August.
- September 24th, 2019 — Reached 2,000 total subscribers.
- October 1st, 2019 — Launched on Product Hunt, ended up #2 of the day and #3 of the week. This resulted in 1,300 new subscribers on launch day and 2,000 new subscribers overall, for a total of 4,000 subscribers at this point.
- October 8th, 2019 — First paid sponsor, Maker Mind officially became a profitable project!
- Today — 5,000 subscribers! With an average open rate of 51.7% and click rate of 14.7%.
Thanks everyone for the support, and virtual high five to all my fellow newsletter creators. It's hard work but worth every bit of it. 💌