2
9 Comments

My first side project landing page (feedback appreciated!)

this product

Hello, IH people (and robots!),

I have had my fair share of abandoned side projects in the past, so this time I decided to do things a bit differently.

I have intentionally chosen an idea that was already (albeit poorly) executed and had a lot of people complaining. I know I can do better (+ I got excited about the tech) - so I'm doing it.

I have also started with a simple landing page first - the plan is to get some feedback on it and then start reaching out to people, asking about their thoughts and ideas for the product.

I am still not sure how (and if) this will be monetized in the near future, but I just want to get something out there - so I'm doing it.

Here is the url to a landing page: https://pengu.watch/

I am not a designer, so don't expect a wow effect, but hopefully, it's not too ugly and will get the job done. I am open to feedback and criticism!

Thanks,
Ante

  1. 3

    Hi Ante,

    Sounds like an interesting idea. Outside of the landing page, I would love to know how/where you see a way to make money on this.

    As for the page, one thing that jump out at me is the lack of images/video. For something like this, I would expect to see at least an image which shows me what it looks like (even if it is just a mock).

    100% not a designer myself.....but as the father of a tween daughter, I could see her and her friends really liking something like this. For them, the dark colors would be a big turn off...pinks, purples, etc.

    As for your sign up form, is there anything you can give customers for signing up early? I mentioned on another thread, but the sign up for early access really doesn't have the same pull it used it. It could be access to a video that demos the extensions. It could be a discount to the paid version (although this too is a stretch these days).

    Good luck and keep us posted!

    1. 2

      Hey Scott, I appreciate your feedback a lot!

      I am not 100% sure whether this project will make any money tbh. I was considering either donations or limiting some features of the free accounts (for example the number of people in a party), but I feel I need to gather some analytics first in order to find out how people use the product.

      I completely agree with you on thelack of isome kind of media, I will try to come up with somethintg, I think hero area especially is in a dire need of something.

      The color scheme note I agree with as well, I'll do some brainstorming on that.

      As for the sign up incentive, I will try and think of something. Perhaps it could be a unique badge shown to all your friends that you were one of the beta testers.

      Thanks again!

    2. 1

      Hey Scott,

      I just wanted to let you know that I have re-designed the landing page, you can check my new thread here: https://www.indiehackers.com/forum/thank-you-for-the-feedback-i-have-listened-and-redesigned-my-landing-page-994837bc10

      Would love to hear your thoughts on it.

      Thanks,
      Ante

  2. 2

    I like the landing page. I knew exactly what the product was within 5 seconds of looking at it.

    I feel like it could be a little bit more emotive with a picture instead of a grey background - so long as it's not too distractive.

    Also not a fan of the dark theme, it's not generalist enough - especially if you're targeting netflix users.

    You could also arrange the information in the lower sections a bit better, currently - I feel no need to read it, doesn't stand out.

    1. 1

      Hey Wisani,

      I just wanted to let you know that I have listened to your feedback, and posted a new thread here: https://www.indiehackers.com/forum/thank-you-for-the-feedback-i-have-listened-and-redesigned-my-landing-page-994837bc10

      Would love to hear your thoughts.

      Thanks,
      Ante

    2. 1

      Thank you for your feedback Wisani! I am definitely working on a more friendlier color scheme, everybody noticed that. I will also do my best to make the non-hero copy more appealing.

  3. 2

    The text in your top light grey section is good. I understand immediately what this is supposed to do, and why I'd want it.

    I think your logo could be a bit more light-hearted to represent friends hanging out. Maybe use linked/intertwined bags of popcorn or something. Right now it feels kinda like a Linux security plugin.

    I also didn't read all the text down below — too much. Maybe just post the most impressive bit of marketing from down there. Would like to see 5 star reviews from Chrome store, etc.

    1. 2

      Hello ethangodt,

      I appreciate you taking time to check it out. I am glad the copy is clear, I spent a while thinking about it and gathering hints from other topics here on IH.

      Scott also suggested (and I agree with it) that my "art" direction is a little too serious. I will work on making it more friendly.

      On the content note - noted, will see what I can docto make it more engaging.

      Thanks!

    2. 1

      Hey Scott,

      I have re-designed the logo, you can check my new thread here: https://www.indiehackers.com/forum/thank-you-for-the-feedback-i-have-listened-and-redesigned-my-landing-page-994837bc10

      I will update the lower copy upon launch once I get a few reviews from the beta testers

      Thanks,
      Ante