3
4 Comments

I just had to cancel a project I worked on for 3 months

I have been involved with a project for more than 3 months and I just decided to quit working on it because I did not have the passion for it anymore. The worst part is I was working with a couple of other guys and it felt terrible to tell them that.

Did you ever have to tell your partner you can no longer on a project? How did they take it? What happend to the project?

  1. 2

    At the beginning of the project, presumably, you had passion/excitement for it. What happened in those three months?

    Also (this may be a bit of a tangent) why do you think you need to be passionate about your project? Starting and growing a new business is so hard that it's naive, in my opinion, to think that passion will be there with you the whole journey.

    Personally, I regularly have to do a lot of things I don't want to do in my business. I started the company out of excitement, and sure - some of that excitement is still there. But mostly it's just been hard work...with brief dashes of excitement thrown in. Had I relied on passion to keep me going, I am sure I would have thrown in the towel long ago.

    Food for thought!

  2. 1

    Try 3 years. We worked on a wedding planning app for 3 years and had to pull the plug.

    The app was already dead long before that, but we were in denial. At the time, pulling the plug was painful, but in hindsight it was the best decision we ever made.

  3. 1

    I quited my startup at 6th month at 2001.
    We were 3 partners and it was a web design company.

    After several months my partners also shut the company down.
    Now my old partners are their own bossess and it seems that they are earning good.

    It was a hard decision but it was true for me.

    Now I am 39 and a paid worker :)

    We rarely can see what the time will show us.

    3 months is not a long time and may be a good time to quit if you think you can't continue.

    Good luck my friend.

  4. 1

    There has been countless projects that I've started, worked on (sometimes for months), and then just called it quits since new information would present itself that invalidated the idea. It sucks, but it is what it is. Better than chasing a pipe-dream to nowhere.