Over the past few months, I've been leveraging the Code For Cash community as my own personal freelancer pool. This has provided a huge boost in my freelance consulting (software dev) business: it's like I have an armada of individual contributors that I can delegate tasks to, on-demand.
Some example microtasks I did:
So now, I present to the community, for your consumption: Microtasks!
Like the idea and will keep it in mind for future tasks. I think it provides some benefit over hiring on upwork myself like I usually do.
The signup page feels odd on mobile coming from a beautiful landingpage to a blank non responsive form. Maybe you can add responsiveness and some additional reason to sign up and show what the next steps will be. I was expecting some kind of wizard or task description form behind the button "take the next step".
Hey Patric,
You will see the wizard once you "take the next step". But great feedback! I just spent some time updating the styles so that the sign up and sign in pages are responsive.
Yep, we will keep in touch with you
We will help you with this. We will help you find a market clearing price if you need one. Would you prefer a price be suggested to you?
Yep. We also have a communication system within our platform if you prefer.
This is a cool idea. This is something that appeals to me because, as you know, I don't like to spend that much time interviewing candidates. I'd rather screen based on resume/ratings and hire for a trial job. That's typically how I use Upwork.
Value Proposition
My biggest reaction is that the site copy focuses too much on low cost, which makes me too fearful that I'd be getting low-quality developers. Especially lines like, "We have a network of hungry developers in our network." I read "hungry" as "third-rate" (or less polite adjectives).
The copy that most spoke to me is at the very end, where it says "prefer a work-sample test as your hiring procedure." (although I'd prefer a more authoritative source than an HN comment). I also like that I'm not forever bound to uTask the way I am with Upwork. For me, it's not as important that I save money up front. I'd much rather save time by using a platform that gives me a high-quality pool of developers and gives me the tools to get up and running with them quickly.
Acceptance Criteria
In the "New Microtask" form, I recommend giving the user more guidance about how to describe their task.
If I write a task like, "I want you to scrape the headlines from CNN," I'm burying a lot of hidden assumptions in that statement. Does it need to have a command-line frontend or am I just talking about a library? Does the code have to adhere to a particular style guide? How much documentation do I require?
From my experience, the success of these types of jobs depends on defining good acceptance criteria. The client is responsible for specifying in objective terms what qualifies as successful completion of the contract.
Going back to the CNN example, the acceptance criteria might be:
scrapy crawl cnnfrom the command line.headlines.txtthat contains one CNN headline per line in the file.coverage run --source cnn -m unittest discover.Consider adding a text section dedicated to "Acceptance criteria" with guidance about how to define it well.
Minor Thoughts
I replaced 'we have a network of hungry developers' with 'we have a network of competent developers'.
I updated the copy on the "New Microtask" screen. Instead of description, we just have "Acceptance criteria". Way better idea!
I updated the copy and images surrounding the examples of the successful microtasks.
Really interesting!
I'd be a potential user (on both sides of the marketplace if I ever get a free minute) - am turned off by the 'hard' login/signup flow though - would prefer a little more information about payment guarantees etc and to see some more examples of what a $50 and $250 task looks like...
Keep up the good work, the site looks great!
I updated "100% money-back guarantee" to say "No credit card authorization until you pick a developer. No credit card charge until they complete the task to your satisfaction within 24 hours."
I have some examples here: https://utask.org/#examples .. will add more as more projects come through the network!
In order to freelance on the microtasks do you have to signup on code for cash or is there a way to signup through microtasks?
Seemed a bit confusing on the site but everything else looks super clean. Great work.
Thanks allen. If you want to freelance on the microtasks you have to sign up for code for cash as a developer (https://codefor.cash/signup)