I'm having a difficult time coming up with a name for my side project. I want the name to be short and to have .com
I've tried some business name generators but all in vain.
Heya @ktkaushik – if you haven't come across this yet, Igor's naming guide is a great scientific approach to choosing a name for your startup / product / project etc:
https://www.igorinternational.com/process/igor-naming-guide_12.pdf
Whoa that's quite a guide!
Definitely my favorite guide on naming!
This is awesome! Thanks a ton man
Yea, happy to help 🙌
What I found to work for me is getting some friends/family together and start a brainstorm session.
Start with writing keywords on post it notes and then try to combine or shorten them.
Remember the golden rule of brainstorming: "Never say no or neglect an idea".
Also try not to make it a critical mission. Think of it as an experiment that is doomed to have a result.
Good luck!
I do the same. My friends have come up with all of my project names, I find it hard naming my own things.
I like both of your tips a lot. Never say no or neglect an idea and the name being not a critical mission.
I will keep that in mind. Thanks @constantin
This was just posted on Product Hunt: https://namelix.com/
Some practical/pragmatic tips/ideas I use to actually come up with a name.
For my last project Vynaca "Current and future financial insights into your company". The process looked like this:
"financial forecast" > "finacast" > "vynacast" > "vynaca" > "www.vynaca.com". :)
Lovely idea. It is time to sit down with a list of words.
Thanks
Check this out: https://thenextweb.com/entrepreneur/2017/10/26/before-naming-your-startup-read-this/
Super nice. Thanks
leandomainsearch is amazing
I tend to not worry about the name of things too much. Some people fall into this horrible state of not starting a project until they can find a good name for it.
Just pick a simple name for now and when youve nailed down your project you will probably be in a much better place to come up with a name
-keep it simple, short, easy to spell;
-check in google translate some common languages to avoid names with awkward meanings;
-check if the name is not already a registered brand or trade mark for your class category.
Worldwide: http://www.wipo.int/branddb/en
and in the European Union: https://www.tmdn.org/tmview/welcome
Good luck!
Thanks man
Think about common words, common phrases, the vernacular of your target market. Naming is very much about the imagery of the words.
An exercise: make assumptions from my username / brand name about what I do, company size, formal / informal etc. That's only 2 words but there's a brand image in there. You are basically hijacking the meanings, the connotations from those words so choose carefully.
Do you homework, I would probably have kept looking if I did more homework on "tvCAD", the top Google result is a coronary disease. If it were a more popular term I would probably had ditched it by now.
I am an owner of shareonline.in and i just searched this domain name with the help of https://domainglo.com
Thanks I downloaded it and will look at it a little later! Very much appreciated!
Hey Kaushik, please checkout https://namelix.com/
I did. It's pretty great but it takes like forever to load results.
For me it's been working like breeze.
Most of my projects do what the domain says. I'd think you'd want to stick to that. No point in being on a website with a domain "ieatapples.com" but then you're selling brownies. Before I start a project -- the domain I want must exist in order for me to really get into it. If it doesn't... its rare I'll continue. Occasionally I'll check an IO to see if that could work, or another domain where it could work and is catchy.
I like .io domains. I've been looking at others like .co as well.
alertsforcc.com
The site will send you alerts when a cryptocurrency hits your desired price, not finished yet.
But I used the domain to say what it does.
Yeah a temp name to kick off sounds good too
I have my own name creation tool that scans hundreds of domains for some gold nuggets :)
Which one is that?
Not released, it is private now, but I am planning to release it in a week or so. I will buzz you when I will make it public.