I’m working on FormAPI (https://FormAPI.io), and our core feature is a PDF template editor to create a simple API for your PDFs.
However, I’ve also added a feature for HTML/CSS => PDF conversion. One advantage over other services is that you can predefine your fields and set up an HTML template in our editor. This makes it easy to preview your PDFs quickly with random data. You also only need to send the required JSON data to fill out the template (with schema validations), instead of posting a URL or some HTML/CSS (which might contain errors that you won’t catch until it’s too late.)
The problem I’m facing is that this HTML conversion feature has a lot more competitors, and I honestly think I should charge less for it, and maybe offer a lot more PDFs for free before charging. Do you think it would it make sense to offer this as a separate product with different branding and on a different domain? Or maybe I should just change the pricing and make any HTML renders a bit cheaper.
The other issue is that I’m thinking about offering a PDF parsing feature, so instead of generating PDFs from a template, you would scrape data from an uploaded PDF (using the same template editor to configure the field positions.) There’s already some competitors in this space. And I could also see this one being launched as a separate product.
Maybe I should have three separate landing pages for each of these features, and they could each have their own custom pricing page that highlights the main feature people are looking for. This would be better for marketing campaigns as well, since I could target customers who are usually only interested in one specific feature.
Would appreciate your thoughts!
The products sound similar enough, that I definitely wouldn't spin it off on a separate brand/domain. Probably go the 2 products on same brand, or bundled approach.
Not understanding fully, but it sounds like your existing functionality, merged with this new product would give you a superior overall offering over your competitors, as they somewhat complement each other no?
If you designed the PDF template in a HTML page builder, and output was HTML, it sounds like the products would have almost complete crossover, except that you have an easier method of feeding variables into the template.