9
6 Comments

Where do you find great illustrators for your landing page ?

Right now, illustrations for marketing sites are all the rage in the tech world and guess what... I'm falling for it too !

So I've been scouring dribbble for a couple days now but I find the whole process awfully time consuming and ineffective. I didn't really want to spend $299/month to post a job offer so I decided I could find the right person by myself. So here I am, messaging, waiting for a couple hours/days for someone's answer only to find out he/she's not interested/insert excuse/not available before July 2021.

Do you guys have any suggestions ? (Apart from fiverr, freelancer.com and upwork as all of them tend to treat freelancers like dog poop :( )

  1. 4

    I've hired for ~5-6 different illustration jobs from Upwork. I've had mostly good experiences.

    One of the big things I found out after going through the process is that you can increase the quality of your candidates by looking for available freelancers, looking at their work, and proactively reaching out to them saying specifically why you think they're a match. A lot of illustrators just get generic "need someone who draws good" messages, so if you show that you're going to be an engaged and respectful client, the good illustrators will be more interested in working with you.

    I wrote a post about this a few months ago:

    https://mtlynch.io/how-to-hire-a-cartoonist/

    1. 3

      Hey Michael,
      thanks for the link ! That was a really insightful and documented article.

      I agree that there are some real gems on Upwork. Finding them is hard though.
      And the 2 main reasons are:

      1)These platforms promote a race to the bottom as talented freelancers have to compete with people from all other the world. They generally end up working at hourly rates significantly lower than what they could charge. And as a result, they go find work elsewhere with higher paying platforms/clients.

      2)Abusive clients. Small business owners with high expectations, they pay as little as they can and are ready to initiate a dispute for the most absurd reasons. Sadly, I'm talking from past experiences (I completed a couple small gigs on Upwork back when I was in college).

  2. 3

    Imho i’m a freelancer using upwork for work and im happy with it. No dog poop seen ;) so maybe try it there. Also behance but be prepared to browse a lot, write a lot of emails etc.

    1. 1

      I'm not a big fan of Upwork (explained that in the post above). I hope you won't encounter any problem with them :)
      Dribbble and Behance are more or less the same... I'll keep searching I guess !

  3. 1

    Yesterday i found great resources for illustration. It is vecteezy.com,they have +100.000 free illustration. One thing,they have editor,so you can edit your image,like change background,remove some part from image,etc.