6
12 Comments

Just launched — Emporter.app

this product

Emporter creates secure URLs to your Mac, in real time.

So, why might this be cool?

  • Web developers: you can develop as you would on a real website, without having to buy or manage a server.

  • Mobile app developers: you can use Emporter to help code your next app. Emporter URLs are accessible anywhere: prototype your app in the real world!

  • Mobile web developers: you can use Emporter access your work on a real device and make better design decisions. Load times, for instance, are easily estimated when using real mobile data.

  • Web entrepreneurs: you can easily test new ideas without investing time, money or resources into a server.

Anyone can access URLs served by Emporter, whether they're your clients, teammates, family or friends.

It's the first public side project I've launched in about 10 years. I'm very open to suggestions.

Thanks for taking the time to take a look!

  1. 1

    Congrats on the launch! I can definitely see the appeal here, will give it a go over the weekend 👍

  2. 1

    The app store link in the footer links to '#' and not the app store :)

    1. 1

      Yikes! It's fixed now, thanks for letting me know!😅

      1. 1

        You are not the first one on IH to miss that 😄

  3. 1

    Looks good. I use ngrok daily and have a paid plan for reserved domains. One of the things that gets me with ngrok is only having one online process at once (I'm on the basic plan).

    Do you have similar limits? Also do you have the equivalent of reserved domains?

    1. 2

      Thanks!

      I think Emporter technically works a little differently than ngrok.

      Emporter subscriptions allow more than one URL (tunnel) active at a time, more control over the URL names, and more resources at your disposal. This means, for example, a subscription allows you to serve up to 20 external connections to your URL(s) simultaneously.

      This may change in the future to help the stability of the service, but for now, it's fine 😇

      Edit: There aren't reserved domains at this time, but it may be something I implement when/if team support is added (depending on demand).

      1. 1

        great, thanks for the clarification. Unfortunately it's not something I could use at the moment without reserved domains.

        If you support them in the future I'd be interested in taking a look - the 1 online connection limitation in ngrok gets in my way pretty frequently :)

        good luck!

  4. 1

    Congrats on shipping! 🚀🚀🚀 How's it feel to get that project out into the wild?

    1. 1

      Thank you! It feels pretty good, I even managed to get a (trial) subscription on the second day!

      There's still a lot of work to be done, but I'm excited to other people (users) into the product's evolution process. Naturally, I love working on products that people love using, and I feel one step closer by having it live and keeping an open mind.

  5. 1

    Congrats on the launch!

  6. 1

    This comment was deleted 8 years ago

  7. 1

    This comment was deleted 4 years ago

    1. 1

      Hey Mick, thanks for your input. You're not the only one who's said that, so it seems likely that I'll add that feature sooner rather than later.

  8. 1

    This comment was deleted 7 years ago

    1. 1

      Hey, thanks! Yeah, it's a bit like ngrok, with more of an emphasis on web designers. That meant having a nice, native interface, and a way to use it without having to run any other servers.

      Speaking of which, the server that ships with Emporter has a "live reload" feature, so if the stylesheets or markup changes, the browser will reload the changes.

      There are certainly ideas and features I want to add which may make it more comparable, but I wanted to ship a really minimal version to let user feedback dictate the roadmap.