3
7 Comments

What hosting do you use for your Website/Service ? Shared hosting vs Cloud?

I have several applications for my side projects in the Cloud (Digitalocean). I chose cloud hosting because of its freedom to install everything you want and I used it for my Ruby on Rails applications.
But I know many people who prefer shared hosting, especially if their sites are on Wordpress.

There are not so many Cloud providers - AWS, DigitalOcean, Linode and a few others. And millions of shared hostings - Godaddy, Hostgator, ...

Did you use shared hosting ? What problems did you have with shared hostings?
What are your reasons to move to the Cloud hosting or stay with a Shared hosting?

  1. 1

    Why do you guys choose DigitalOcean over AWS EC2?

  2. 1

    I'm not using shared hosting from ages, cloud servers now are super cheap
    I used Linode, Hetzner and OVH and now AWS thanks to the Activate Builders startup package

  3. 1

    I have both Shared Hosting (from Hawk Host) and Cloud Server (Vultr)

  4. 1

    I use digitalocean, its a bit wierd at first but they are very scalable and flexible.

  5. 1

    I have used cloud hosting for customers in the past but as my latest product is built in C# it's a lot harder to go to the cloud (without paying for a VPS) so I have been using shared hosting from Gearhost which also allows me to create free demo versions quickly.

    1. 2

      FWIW I also write in c# and right now I'm using shared hosting (smarterasp.net) for my side projects because it's super cheap. When/if I ever get some traction I will move to a cloud provider like Azure for scalability...

      1. 1

        I hadn't seen smarterasp.net before but looks like a great package and is something I will look into.