2
5 Comments

How do you allow customers to use old versions of your app?

I am developing a PWA and would like to know how you guys handle old versions of apps accessing your app server. Do you put the different versions of the app API behind numbered folders? Using Android mobile apps I can sometimes still use the app without updating, and they work just fine. I can see how if I have a user trying an old version would break the functionality.

  1. 2

    Generally force the client to update somehow ("hit refresh to load the new version of this app") or make sure your API is backward compatible until it's safe to remove obsolete features. Try and pick the easiest option.

    1. 1

      Thanks for your input, users have to expect updates these days, so forcing them to update isn't that big of a deal.

      1. 2

        Yes, don't make life hard for yourself creating scope for bugs and weird edge cases when you can reasonably avoid them and users are unlikely to care.

  2. 2

    Yes versioning your APIs is the most popular way of doing this. Another approach, if you've not yet built out your API, would be to go for a graphQL API rather than a REST API, which would not have these issues, since the client would explicitly request the specific fields it requires.

    1. 1

      Well thank you for shining some light on this for me. I will do my research on graphQL to see how it's done 🔎🔮