6
20 Comments

Your most Brutal feedback please! Would you pay for this?

The LabX

Hey guys!

As most of you will be business owners or at least thinking about taking the leap, I'd love to hear your brutally honest opinion on my recently started project...

I recently started my business where I use my design and engineering background to do creative campaigns that solve business problems (such as increasing sales, user acquisition and so on).

I'm wondering, would you guys pay for a service like this?

The angle that I'm trying to come from is that if I can create a campaign for a client that generates £100k (for example) and I charge a fair percentage of that, would that be a great service to offer? Would you pay for it yourself?

Please be as honest as possible, I'm here to learn and refine so I promise I won't be offended :)!

  1. 4

    To be brutally honest, I wouldn't pay for it or at least I wouldn't pay for it now. There are a multitude of reasons for it but the most important ones are:

    1. I don't know what the service is, other than the words "campaigns" and "design" there's nothing else to describe what you do and how you can provide value;
    2. You're not credible, your site looks like one of those spammy websites. You definitely need to revamp that especially when your unique selling point is design.

    Your idea isn't new, people are making a lot of money doing it and you can too, you just need to get better at communicating and most importantly you need to level up your UI skills.

    Hope this wasn't too brutal :D

    1. 2

      Ha not at all, I need to hear it so really appreciate you taking the time to respond!

      Ok, so I need to be way clearer with my messaging so it's instantly clear what it is that I do and also improve the site design.

      May I ask what about the design gives off a spammy/uncredible feel? What makes it feel untrustworthy - if you could put that into words?

      Again, thanks for the feedback!

      1. 2

        possible ways I would chaneg it (in terms of design) would be make teh borders rounder. make sure U put shadows around teh text that may look good. And your form looks shity I will be honest. Black borders donnt look good very often somtimes they can. maby add border radius here too

        1. 1

          Thanks for those recommendations, will definitely try those and I agree about the form, there's something about it that doesn't look right.

          Really appreciate the feedback.

      2. 2

        Happy to hear I wasn't too harsh!

        I think it's a mix of multiple things like typography, imagery, layout/placement and implementation. The feel you are after is quite hard to achieve and I can't really give you indications on how to improve it but I can show you a few examples. Didn't have enough time to find some good ones but as a start, have a look at these:

        Stare at those for 5-10 minutes and then look at your site and see how you feel.

        One thing to keep in mind is that this is just my opinion. I'm only one guy! Don't let my opinion influence you yet! Go ask more people for feedback and most importantly, keep building!

        1. 1

          Those examples you sent are amazing! I can see exactly what you mean now, there's just a much more 'premium' and well put together feeling about those examples compared to mine.

          I'm going to study those sites and redesign my site.

          Thanks again for taking the time to give feedback, I really appreciate the eye-opening help!

  2. 3

    Did you buy the Instagram follows?

    Just a shot in the dark math between the number of followers and engagement + the fact that you mentioned you just started.

    Just curious.

    1. 2

      I agree the engagement is really bad at the moment.

      It used to be my illustration account over a year and a half ago when I was regularly uploading. In this past year and a half period though, I didn't upload anything due to being busy with other projects.

      So when I came back recently to it, I changed the name and whole aesthetic (and archived my old posts).

      I think with the combination of algorithm changes on Instagram, the fact that it's a whole different account that followers don't recognize and that many of the followers might be inactive, there's been a huge drop in engagement.

      I was wondering if I should just start a new account and go from zero again, what do you think?

      1. 1

        I think with the combination of algorithm changes on Instagram, the fact that it's a whole different account that followers don't recognize and that many of the followers might be inactive, there's been a huge drop in engagement.

        Makes sense.

        I was wondering if I should just start a new account and go from zero again, what do you think?

        I don't see much benefit in that. Just start getting back to it and you'll bring the engagement back up, even if it's new people etc.

        1. 1

          Good point yeah, I'll do that. Thanks again for the help.

  3. 2

    Vague service description - there are no examples of what kinds of problems did you solve in the past.

  4. 2

    I recently started my business where I use my design and engineering background to do creative campaigns that solve business problems (such as increasing sales, user acquisition and so on).

    👋Sounds like you want to offer creative campaigns to brands, nothing wrong with that and it's a sound business model. But, right now there is nothing to nothing to buy / hire 😀

    Some advice from someone that's spent too long in the digital advertising / campaign world;

    1. Take some time to think about what you want to offer. Visual Design? Creative Campaigns? Development? Video? Social? You can't be everything to everyone, so pick a service you want to offer.

    2. Identify the types of companies / brands you love to work with and what service you'd offer. Who is your dream customer? Which industry? Which country? What problem you'd solve for them?

    3. Once you've defined your proposition, your site needs to demonstrate how it helps your target customer get something done. Get this nailed before you start to look at the visual design again.

    4. Based on your proposition, try setting yourself a client brief e.g. "Increasing % email sign ups for surfing brand Y, by a campaign that showed Z" show the campaign you'd create based on your proposition and the results you'd expect.

    Going through this exercise will give you

    • A solid proposition
    • A target audience
    • Sample work that demonstrates your skills at solving this problem
    1. 1

      Thanks so much for the detailed response, your advice is great!

      You're absolutely right about being more specific about the service I provide (which is creative campaigns). That's what I'm going to focus on with my messaging now.

      And yep, I'm working on showing my previous works which show exactly that type of problem solving.

      Again, really appreciate the feedback. You're clearly very knowledgeable about this industry so thanks for sharing your experience!

  5. 2

    Hi Bezan,

    I think the comments you've received already are fair.

    I've one word of additional advice: Niche, niche, niche...

    Sorry - that's three - but you know where I'm coming from ;-)

    Best wishes,
    Mark

    1. 1

      I think your comment is spot on - that's exactly the feedback that most of the other comments are giving.

      What I'm offering is simply not clear at the moment so I need to work on that messaging so it does become 100% crystal clear immediately.

      Thanks Mark!

  6. 2

    Those three subtitles are unnecessarily hard to read with the background clipping them halfway. Completely opposite to your value proposition "It must have both form and function."

    Seems suspicious that you got <100 likes and >300 followers per Instagram post.

    I'd make the showcase ready before expecting many customers unless you charge by results only.

    1. 1

      Really appreciate the feedback!

      Alex provided some great examples so I'll definitely be redesigning the website to be much nicer.

      And yes my Instagram engagement is really bad - it was an illustration account I was regularly uploading to about a year and a half ago. I recently came back to it, changed the name and whole look of the feed so I think combining that with the algorithm changes, followers being inactive or confused about the new account - it causes this bad engagement. So I think for that reason I might just restart with a new account soon.

      And yep, working on the showcase right now so that'll be available soon.

      Thanks again!

  7. 2

    First off, congratulations on taking the leap to start your own business! You have an exciting time ahead of you :)

    I'm with Alex here - it's not really clear what you're offering. I get the impression that you're starting an agency (trading hours for money) - is that it? Or are you offering a package people can pay for?

    You're probably really good at what you do since you're starting a business, but the problem is that it doesn't really show on the site. I don't mean to be rude either, but it simply feels unprofessional. It's the drop shadows, the typography, the way you use images behind the headers, the buggy site, and the thin content.

    The agency I work for and used to be partner at has lived for 13 years now, and this recipe has worked well for us:

    • Be clear about what you're doing
    • Produce good work
    • Show that work

    Perhaps you could start with these points and go from there?

    Good luck, and keep building! Helping others with tech and design is challenging but lots of fun :)

    1. 1

      Thanks so much for the feedback!

      Yes, you're absolutely right. From the other comments, it's very clear that I'm being super unclear about what I do (which is a huge problem!).

      Those three points you provided are a great way of looking at it. Based on that, what I need to do now is create a super succinct explanation of what I do and show great work that displays exactly what I do (and the value I can provide).

      It's challenging indeed but a lot of fun too! Thanks again for the really helpful feedback, this is exactly how I can grow and progress!