4
10 Comments

Customer management, do I need to custom dev a solution or can Zapier save the day? (WP, Stripe)

I am working on a project which I'm trying to build as lightweight as possible, with a target of near-100% automation. I'm really trying to avoid custom database solutions, so please share your experiences and recommendations :).

As a brief description, I'll need to manage Users (who subscribe with monthly recurring payments), and Businesses (entities I plan to have a pre-established relationship with). Users should be able to view, manage, and cancel their subscriptions. As for the Businesses, I would need to be able to initiate a payment to them. I plan to use Stripe for all of the payment processing, btw. (hi Courtland, Channing, and Stripe folks!)

  • Is there a CRM tool (customer relationship management) that would integrate nicely to help me manage these Users/Businesses? Did you have to do something similar in the past, what did you use and how was the experience?

  • Do I have to roll my own custom user registration/login features onto my site (let's say it's a Wordpress site) in order to allow users to see their subscription details or extend other features?

Just a small edit - I have never used a CRM before so I apologize for sounding very ignorant in this space.

  1. 1

    Hmm, you might be able to put something together using WordPress and WP Simple Pay. Not sure if that can handle paying out to the businesses though.

  2. 1

    I’ve worked with WP, Stripe, and monthly subscriptions, but I’m going to need a bit more info before I can offer any meaningful feedback.

    For example, why do you need to pay the businesses? What’s the purpose of the site? What are your users subscribing to?

    1. 2

      Had a crazy idea to build an online database of coworking spaces, and then develop a membership program which would allow users to visit any partnering coworking space around the world. As part of the access, I would reimburse the coworking space a fraction of their daily rate. This reimbursement would be an established relationship at a pre-negotiated rate.

      Not sure if I could pull it off, since the price of access varies so much and it seems hard to figure out a payment model that works, both for the user (how much per month for membership?) and for the business (how much cost in reimbursement per access) in a way that doesn't make my reimbursement cost exceed the monthly membership cost.

      1. 1

        If you haven't already, check out https://copass.org

        1. 1

          Ah, thank you for sharing.

      2. 1

        That's an interesting proposition. Co-working facilities intrigue me. Have you come up with a pricing model yet?

        @pippinwilliamson might know. I wish there were a way to tag other users.

        1. 1

          Not at all. NYC coworking spaces can have $700+ monthly memberships, or charge over $25 per day. Other countries may be much cheaper, so I would need to find a pricing model that worked for frequent travelers or people that used different coworking spaces often, and then find a partnership model that made sense for the spaces. Seems complex as all hell

          1. 1

            The first thing that comes to mind for me is a concierge service. Negotiate a lower price for your members with the various co-working facilities, then allow your users to "book" their own various co-working places. Say someone's traveling between London, New York, and Dubai. Make sure you have co-working facilities in all of those cities, then let them book their time through you. You charge a convenience fee, and they don't have to book separately.

            On the other hand, that's not what you wanted to do. And I'm not sure there's a way to make a flat subscription fee work with your current model.

            We need smarter brains in this conversation. :P

            1. 2

              Your idea about concierge service w/ pre-negotiated rates with partnering spaces, coupled with a convenient way to book as a "trip" is a fantastic one. I really like it and will think about it more tonight. This approach seems like a much more achievable goal, though still tons of work.

              1. 1

                I agree, but once you've got the deals in place, it'll be mailbox money. No intervention required.