Hello Hackers,
did anybody of you have tried to land a job but are unsure about how good is their resume?
This is annoying because sometimes companies get a ton of applicants for a single position and they can't interview everybody, they just evaluate people based on their CV and select or reject. Also, when this happens, you are usually left in the dark about the motivations.
I recently partnered with some recruiters and managers who select applicants for their companies to offer a manual analysis of people resume. This will provide a specific feedback about the resume and a list of actions we suggest you to take to improve it.
The obvious outcome is to increase your chances to get hired.
What do you think?
I like this idea. I'd want to understand the qualifications of the business before I pony'd up any cash...what makes them the resume experts?
Thoughts. Different industries likely value different keywords, length, buzz-wordiness. I know for a fact that many companies simply filter on buzzwords. If you don't mention em, you don't make the cut.
So there's an interesting problem to solve here. Collecting high quality resumes and providing feedback could be valuable.
There's probably an opportunity to build your own resume building tool down the road that makes smart suggestions as you import content.
Throw up a landing page and see what kind of response you get!
Hello Chris, thanks for taking the time to write your feedback.
By experts I mean people who are working in the recruitment department of their company, that have seen thousand of resumes in their career. But I need to clarify how the service will work because I know it might confuse people.
We don't apply only one manual check to the resume, we apply different checks starting from a "presence" check, where we ensure you have not forgotten any information about yourself. There are then other checks that we make until your resume arrives to the human validation step.
Human validation might be problematic for the following reason: if we agree that the process of resume filtering is most of the time subjective (since it depends on many factors, like who is filtering, the type of open position, etc.), any expert evaluation we might provide could have the exact same outcome, it might be too subjective to be useful.
We mitigated this issue interviewing many experts upfront about which criteria they use to filter resumes, we ranked the criteria by usage and the ones that we found have been constantly applied are part of the checks we apply in the validation for all resumes. Only after this validation is done, we submit the resume to the expert for the human validation. The final result is two sets of feedbacks, one coming from the validations of the points extracted by our experts interviews and one coming from the real human validation. All this will be splitted for convenience in the report with a detail saying more or less what I wrote here about the subjectiveness of the human validation.
The note about buzzwords is already on my list, it's absolutely true. We are going to ask people some questions before submitting their resume, to get context about where they want to apply. The idea of one resume that fits for every position is almost dead in every sector now, not just in tech.
About the tool, maybe in the future yes, now the idea is to mount the landing in the next days and start to see if we get some interest from people. I will post here when it's ready.
Thanks again!