Love indie hackers. The community is tight and lots of great original content.
I wanted to contribute my story of our launch this month.
Polar is a document repository for managing PDFs and web content - annotating them and keeping what you've annotated long term (think 30 years or more).
It's also designed to integrate into 3rd party apps like Anki to add additional features like spaced repetition.
One key area that I'm trying to improve on is marketing and distribution.
With Polar I've been doing a ton of experimentation to learn what works.
Long story short. We flunked on our Product Hunt launch - and nailed our Hacker News Launch.
The Product Hunt was probably skunked because I needed better graphics and a better landing page.
This is definitely not my strong suit. I'm working to improve this... it might have also been due to the inability to refine the pitch.
We nailed Hacker News. They REALLY get why Polar needs to exist.
We had about 12k pageviews and about 2k of those converted to weekly users. We have about 300 daily users now.
The user base is REALLY passionate.
What I need to do now is build in a better distribution model. Without press Polar won't grow and I can't rely on press by itself.
My next plans are to build in public sharing of annotations on the web to benefit from SEO and allow users to discover us that way.
We're also planning on a cloud storage framework for a revenue model.
The base product will be freemium. They HAVE to publish openly if they want the freemium model I think. This way the SEO helps us grow the user base. I need to think about this though as maybe it's too short sighted.
Either way my prime focus now is distribution.
I have a core set of users that are using the product so if I make them happy they can help us grow.
Looks great. Some quick suggestions:
Congrats! I've been soft publicizing my app (also open source with SaaS dreams) and damn, it's difficult! Really awesome that you were able to get so many users from your posts :) I'm struggling just to get early feedback to find out what I need to fix and what's important.
Side note: I liked the Anki shout out. When Android was first released, I built the super early Android app for Anki, gave out the code and some awesome people built the real necessary features like spaced repetition and got it published - open source is amazing.
Congrats on the launch, and getting those first core users! And thanks for the HN stats -- very useful.
Best of luck.
Yeah.. the key is that they're staying... the feedback has been along the lines of "man, this app definitely isn't perfect but I fucking love it and never realized I needed it so bad until now! " ... so we have definitely hit a nerve which is great. I just need to focus on distribution and polish now.
Both aren't easy though.. I think distribution is first as the alpha geeks will forgive me for lack of polish.
This comment was deleted 6 years ago
Thanks.. what's the URL to your app?
This comment was deleted 6 years ago
Just curious how many users you have?
I was thinking about some sort of API for sharing polar data with 3rd parties. Either oath or sync.. would be interesting to have some sort of API integration that allowed you to get access to a Polar user's PDF archives.
This comment was deleted 6 years ago