I must admit that I've always felt lacking in areas of accounting and finance, which I know are obviously important when running a company. I find it challenging to keep up with conversations about funding/valuation/investing without this solid background.
For everyone who is/isn't a finance/accounting expert, do you have reading recommendations that could help, please? (edit: I'm based in the U.S.!)
Hi BlackGirlMaverick,
Are you planning on doing your own accounting? Understanding finance is more important than understanding accounting for business owners, especially if you are using cash basis accounting for your company. (Full disclosure: my background is in finance before I moved to a SaaS startup so I am partial to finance.) As far as reading material, I prefer a good textbook for basic definitions. Knowing the language of finance and accounting is the basis for understanding the concepts. I would be happy to answer any specific questions you may have.
Thank you very much, Ben! I did download a finance textbook, but I didn't know if that would be overkill. I'll continue studying up.
Good! Let me know if you have any questions. I would be happy to answer them or point you to some resources.
Hey! Where are you based in the world..? This matters a lot when it comes to accounting + finance. π
I find this website very helpful:
https://www.foxymonkey.com/
It is UK-based, but Michael also touches on other countries and their accounting / investment nuances.
His newsletter is also helpful, and he actually responds to you! π
Hi Sam, from the U.S.!
Still checking foxymonkey out now, thanks!
Hey @BlackGirlMaverick!
Waves from the UK! πππππ
Yeah, that happened to me when I came across it LOL. This sort of material gets you hooked for hours! π
As you're in the U.S. β you may like this one, too! >>>>>
https://www.nerdwallet.com/