5
12 Comments

Reward for referral program?

Hi guys, anyone expert in building an effective referral program?

We are thinking to build a referral program for the users of www.customerly.io
We are considering which kind of rewards users will have in exchange.

Based on your experience and on our offer which should be the perfect reward to encourage users to share?

Thanks in advance

  1. 4

    @kevin is an IH community member who built http://growsurf.com/
    I would recommend checking it out :)

  2. 3

    I suggest you look at how PayPal grew its user-base with referrals - It's covered in Zero-To-One (Peter Thiel). As a starter though, figure out what users you're targeting, and who you want them to refer, then provide value to both those sets of people with your referral program.

    1. 1

      Thank you so much. I have that book on my desk right now. Thanks for suggesting.

  3. 2

    I agree that the PayPal example suggested by @regal has some learnings but it's also worth pointing out that they were burning through capital at an insane rate, something like $10 million / month. They were essentially giving out free money in order to get people to use a product that was about transferring money.

    I think Dropbox's referral program provides a better example for most products where users would get an extra 2gb of space for every user they referred.

    I guess in both of these cases they were giving the current users something that would also help them get more out the product and the referral reward was aligned with the value proposition.

    1. 1

      I was justttt going to say this! Have you read 'Hacking Growth' too? :P

      1. 1

        I have not, is that the Sean Ellis book? Do you give it a strong recommendation? I'm actually looking to pick up a new marketing/growth book.

        1. 1

          Yeap that one! Pretty decent IMO though you could most of the stuff online - www.growthhackers.com
          You could also try 'Hooked' by Nir Eyal!

  4. 1

    I built an invite program in my site.

    It's a monthly subscription model with a free tier too. Each user can send 5 invites. If the invitee accepts the invite (meaning goes on to subscribe to a paid plan), both of them get 50% off for one month. I may even include some other rewards or cool things.

    I have too few users right now to tell you how effective this is, but I guess it couldn't hurt. Everyone's goto example is Dropbox, and in fact I tried to emulate that in a way. For me, I'm already paying the server, every extra user costs me nothing and I can only profit from them (actually it costs fractions of a penny, but it's ridiculously close to nothing).

    They way I see it, if you don't want to pour your own money from the start in this program, it's pretty simple. You have something that people would normally pay for, some value that you offer. You've already built it so in a way it doesn't cost you anything to give away some of it. All you want in exchange is refferals.

  5. 1

    Check out https://viral-loops.com/ and https://maitreapp.co/ - useful tools for referrals and give examples of successful campaigns

  6. 1

    Agree with others that it has to be specific to your domain. In this case, you could try a refer x and get y months added for free.

  7. 1

    Whether you’re building your program in house, using plugins, or looking for a complete set up that handles everything for you - I think you’ll like some of the resources we have over here:
    https://www.getambassador.com/resources

    And of course, feel free to ask any questions you might have - if I’m not sure if the answer ill send it over to someone on the team who knows the answer... always happy to help another Indie Hacker out.

    1. 1

      Thank you Anthony, I'm reading your eBook now.