4
12 Comments

"Order ahead" app to skip queues. How to validate the idea, and is it too large for a first-timer?

Hello,

I want to make an app that allows you to order food in advance, and pick it up when you're ready, i.e. to help you skip queues.

I'm confident I can make a working, visually impressive app. It's the business/marketing/business-model validation aspect that makes me unsure.

Things I've thought about:

  • Limit it to my home town (At the beginning)
  • Target it to students (It's a student town) and town residents
  • Much easier to market to a smaller population
  • Fairly small area, so less businesses to onboard (Might still be difficult)
  • Offer to take good pictures of the food, put in their menu, etc. Make onboarding really simple
  • No existing competitors in the area (Aside from Uber eats & delivery services)
  • Would people use it? How to find out?

Should I contact local businesses, and see if they'd be interested in this product? How do I do market research on this?

Very new to all this -- still a student. Thanks for any help!

  1. 1

    You mentioned you have Deliveroo. Here in Berlin we have Deliveroo and Foodra, which is Deliveroo in pink. I know for sure that Foodra has a order in advance/pick up service. Have you checked if deliveroo does not offer this in Australia?

  2. 1

    I would go and talk to the businesses first. If they are willing to talk, that's a good start, and if they like the idea, then even better. I'm sure each conversation will strengthen not only your idea and proposal, but also your relationship with them - so it's a win-win!

  3. 1

    Quick question to anyone reading this post (including the OP) : If you are an iPhone user, would you ever consider ordering food via FaceTime? Like a drive-thru but via FaceTime.

    A quick yes/no reply would suffice. Thanks!

    1. 2

      People have ordered food over the phone since before smartphones even existed. What benefit does video bring? I don't get the thought process sometimes.

      1. 1

        You know how you see the other person's face during a FaceTime call. In this case however, you'd see the menu (and the POS display on the bottom). Do you see what I mean?

        1. 2

          Just look the menu up on the website and then call? 10/10 this is not problem.

          1. 1

            I hear you loud and clear.

            What about for older folks?

            1. 1

              You mean people who are even less inclined to use new fancy ways of doing things and more likely to just do it the way they always have?

    2. 2

      Neat idea, but why does it have to be face-to-face? Can't it just be a phonecall? That way I don't need to look good, and they don't need a webcam.

  4. 1

    There are certainly many services like that already; I was just in a coffee shop today that offers this. So, at least there's a market.

    How will you differentiate? E.g., lower fees than GrubHub/Seamless, no need for the restaurant to have an ipad, easier setup, student discount, etc?

    1. 1

      We don't have GrubHub/Seamless where I am (Australia). We do have Uber Eats & Deliveroo (food delivery services), but they're not "order-ahead" services -- just delivery.

      So to differentiate, we just offer an order-ahead service. We'd possibly constrain it to easy takeout food (coffee, snacks, small-to-medium meals) initially, to make things easier.

      Should I email local business to see if there's any interest, or should I build an MVP first?

      1. 1

        100% talk to businesses before coding. Remember it's a two-sided market place so you also need to talk to the people who would be ordering ahead. Does it actually solve a pain point of either of those parties?