1
5 Comments

MemorizeOnline MVP: Learn the epic poem of the Portuguese

Lusiadas

Hey, I'm Jayson Virissimo, a long time reader, few times poster. I've been (1) attempting to learn Portuguese and (2) wanted to practice design patterns I rarely use at my day job, so I wrote a little spaced repetition app to help me learn the Lusiads, which are, more-or-less, for the Portuguese as the Iliad is for the Greeks.

It's built using the Ruby on Rails web framework, uses Bulma for CSS, is backed by a PostgreSQL database, is hosted on Heroku, and deploys automatically from master branch via TravisCI. The complete code can be found here.

I respect other IndieHackers and would love to get some pointers/criticism from ya'll. Thanks!

  1. 2

    I'm especially interested in feedback from people named Pedro from Portugal (like @pedrocortes, @pedromsluz, @pgcosta), who seem weirdly overrepresented on IndieHackers.

    1. 2

      Hey Jayson,

      I think this is good so far, I would just add a proper CTA on the landing page so people can spot better that they can try it out by going to the "Learn page". You could also add a tag on top of the nav saying something like "Start here".

      As far as the teaching goes I'm not the right person to recommend anything as I wasn't good at this and in Highschool I was a bit close to failing Portuguese hahaha

      Good luck learning Portuguese + with this project!

      1. 1

        Thank you so much for the feedback! As a result, I've added a dismissible welcome modal that directs the user to the "Learn" button to try it out right away.

    2. 2

      :D
      Hi Jason!
      I like the process.
      I would like to be able to do everything from the keyboard (IE: click next card)
      Also I think an example right on the front page would be nice: the attention on the internet is very short, so try to show the most right from the start.

      Now for the Portuguese learning thing: It's a really tough book! Lots of old words that are not in use anymore.

      Good luck!

      1. 1

        Great idea! I went ahead and made the spacebar a shortcut to move to the next part.