1
9 Comments

Ask IH: What would you like to see in a tech blog revolving around JavaScript?

I am making myself a challenge to write 1 quality blog everyday to make sure I got a good grasp of the subject in question.
I know, I know you must be thinking yet another blog. But I think the number of libraries/frameworks JavaScript ecosystem creates, there aren't enough people blogging about them. Also, there aren't more quality blogs like CSS Tricks or HackerNoon or sometimes FreeCodeCamp (yeah FCC used to be great once upon a time). Most of the people that write a lot of code aren't that interested in blogging.

I can write about CSS, JavaScript, React, React Native, GraphQL, Apollo, Node, Redux, Mobx, Jest, Flow & a lot of other things.

Please comment if you work with any of the above & what you would like to see? A full blown real world example or short explaination of concepts. Also, if there is any interest I can create Series like CSS Grid (there are already many out there but mine would be more example focused) or anything you love.

I am currently creating my Blog in Gatsby so I guess in a day or two I'll start writing. If you would like to be notified, subscribe @ https://tinyletter.com/deadcoder0904

  1. 4

    I've mentioned this in comments before, but what I've found as a self taught developer is that it's really easy to find tutorials/information on 'how to do foo with language bar.'

    What I'd be really interested in is a series of tutorials teaching me what I need to learn in order to become an employable web developer.

    Kind of like how to go from 'you can build and deploy an app with node.js and react' to 'you can work in a team of developers on a web app as a junior developer.'

    I don't necessarily want to work as a developer myself, however it always struck me that it isn't clear at all for self-taught developers how to go from competent to employable.

    1. 1

      This comment was deleted 5 years ago

  2. 4

    What would be great is to read about the real problems you faced as a developer and how you overcame them.

    1. 1

      Yep I think I'll include the examples I made from the past then

  3. 2

    I think the most valuable thing is writing good tutorials. It's nothing revolutionary, however every day there are people trying to learn/searching for "how to ..." and this actually adds value. Meanwhile you can do deeper dives on some things, eg. performance, for loops vs while loops, stuff like that. I think if you start with tutorials you'll get feedback and can iterate or always know what your audience is wanting. It will probably surprise you and may not be predictable. Also, it could lead to lucrative things like selling courses/ebooks/etc. So collect emails from day 1.

    Edit: just wanted to say, I think the tutorials where you break down, perhaps in a series, how to develop a fully functional app are the best and most useful for newbs. Like, "build an Instagram clone with [insert tech stack]".

    1. 1

      Aah it might be sheer coincidence but I do have the same topic "Build Instagram Clone with Gatsby" 😂

      Collecting emails is a tough one, although I used to signup for a lot of things a year ago which has led my daily incoming email rate to 10-15. Anyways thanks. Books maybe in a year when I actually have an audience & then videos. First blog.

  4. 1

    I would like to see node.js related posts.

    1. 1

      Cool. Anything specific?

      1. 2

        I think what is missing from the node.js ecosystem is a recommendation on the best libraries/modules to use for specific tasks. The number of modules available is great and newcomers have a hard time finding out what to use ...