Hello!
How best can I leverage my skills and start making some extra income on the side immediately?
I work with Drupal (7/8), PHP, JS(vanilla js, React, Jquery), HTML, Twig, CSS/SASS.
I have used these skills to solve business problems such as:
Building a Drupal 8 system that clients use to share content across multiple Drupal 8 websites. I built the system to leverage both Drupal 8's multi-site configuration system and Restful web services.
Building a statistics program that a client needed in order to see how much business they generate from a contact form on their website compared to other systems that they use.
Thanks,
Dennis
Hi,
Instead of telling me what tools you have proficiency in, talk to me about what business problems you have helped solve. Maybe this group knows of opportunities to solve those same problems again & could offer suggestions. I think you'll get a lot more bait if you say "I've worked on three chatbot projects where I solved the problem of rendering dancing avatars as part of the dialogue." Ok, dumb example, but you get the point. Maybe change your approach to side hustling from that of an "employee" to "owner". Employees say "i have this in my toolbox". Owners say "I can solve problem x for you". That may not answer how do i make money today, but I hope it was helpful in some way.
Good luck
-Pmox2018
I don't disagree with your statements, but the reason employees say "I have this in my toolbox" because for them that is a more intuitive way at looking at their work. So what needs to happen is creating an intuitive way for people to look at their job as solving business problems. It should be second nature to someone used to an employee mindset.
Agree! "A more intuitive way for people to look at their job as solving business problems." You've just named a business problem (kind of a meta problem) that someone in this group should try to solve. :) Folks are always looking for ideas, well @ccdev has just given you one for free. LOL
I think there are like 5 people in this group that are working right now on job boards. This could be a valuable, unique feature to think about adding...
"Employees say 'i have this in my toolbox'. Owners say 'I can solve problem x for you'."
This is a great line and is 100% accurate.
thanks for the great line compliment :)
Hi,
Thanks for the insightful feedback.
If you want it "immediately," you have the option of either freelancing or getting a second job.
If you want it soon, make something interesting.
Thanks for your feedback. I already have something interesting that I am working on. I'll share it with this awesome community once I am done.
Drive for Uber/Lyft.
Immediately:
• Fiverr
• UpWork
• Codementor
• TopTal
Laravel?
Spark?
Do you charge per project? Per Hour?
Symfony. But I don't think it would be much of a challenge to use Laravel.
For small projects, I charge by the hour. Large projects, I charge per project.
I usually have a discovery process that I use in order to find out what problem I can solve for a client. This makes charging per project easier since they can immediately see the value and impact a solution will have.
How much and how long for the Discovery Process?
Accept Paypal?
Yes, I do accept PayPal.
How much for a project or discovery process?
I like keeping my discovery process short. 2 days max(depending on how responsive a client is).
Once I receive a detailed specification document from a client, I go through in order to understand the pain that he needs to be solved.
I then take notes and get back to the client with any questions I may have or even suggestions about a project.
Once we are all in agreement about what needs to be done, I then create a detailed project plan that includes details such as:
This comment was deleted 8 years ago