2
1 Comment

What are some good free resources for learning web design?

At the risk of oversimplifying a complex field that people devote their lives to, what are some good resources for learning web design?

Between the two of us working on our company, neither is a designer (one developer, one product/business), and while we both have some passing understanding of design, it isn't our forte. We've considered buying a new website template but we largely like the one we have, and think the changes we need to make are less than 30% of the overall appearance.

Things I'm interested in learning:

  • How to use design tools like Sketch
  • How to make things look professional/polished
  • Basic rules to be aware of (designing for different breakpoints, colorblindness/accessibility, how to match colors)

(I've considered hiring a freelance designer, and have looked into it over the past few months, but my designer friends I'd hire are not available for various reasons, and I don't want to devote the time to searching/onboarding/managing, etc.)

  1. 1

    Older post, but just added a similar answer to another thread so will add here as well:

    Follow this guy on Twitter: https://twitter.com/steveschoger.

    He has a whole bunch of resources on "design for developers." Some examples:

    https://medium.com/refactoring-ui/7-practical-tips-for-cheating-at-design-40c736799886

    https://twitter.com/i/moments/994601867987619840

    https://www.youtube.com/steveschoger

    He's coming out with a book to this end in a few weeks.