2
7 Comments

Should I use rel=canonical tag for curated articles on my site?

I scour and hand-pick articles about a specific topic for my readers. I grab a short blurb from the article and always link back to the source (asking my reader to click for further reading).

I can’t seem to find if I should be using rel=canonical tags to tell Google where the real source is. Everything I’ve found is discussing articles published fully on different sites.

On my site each curated article is related to other curated articles so my readers can discover more, so the entire page itself is definitely not a copy of the original — just a blurb.

I’m leaning towards not needing them, but was curious so I thought I’d ask.

  1. 2

    Nah, canonical tags are more for the case where you have multiple urls on your site that go to the same article

    Like if you include the article title in the url (/article/6372-My-Article) but the title changes later (/article/Our-Article) you would use a canonical tag to tell search engines they are the same article.

    1. 1

      Thanks. I was referring to the cross domain canonical tag, but you still answered my question. 🙂

  2. 2

    If it's just a regular link with a summary, I don't see why you'd need anything special. Canonical tags are for if your page is a near duplicate to the original page and you want to signal to Google which page is the original one.

  3. 2

    You're only citing the article, I wouldn't use the canonical meta-tag in this case.

    1. 1

      Appreciate it, thank you.

  4. 1

    This comment was deleted 8 years ago

  5. 1

    This comment was deleted 8 years ago

    1. 1

      Ah I wasn't aware it could be used cross-domain, very interesting!