10
8 Comments

Free tool to sanity check your churn!

Hey everyone,

I've made a free tool to help founders understand churn. The idea came from hearing Dave Rodenbaugh talk about how counterintuitive it can be. The tool shows the huge effect small changes in churn can have on revenue and growth.

https://churnkey.io/saas-churn-calculator/

It's fun to play about with the numbers and see the effects small changes might have for your business.

It's bare bones right now but I'm hoping to add a few more features.

Any ideas or feedback are always welcome!

Cheers,
Laurie

  1. 2

    Hey @laurie , your product is simply DOPE! Great work, I love how easy it is to use and the range of information/results available. EVERY SAAS company in the world would definitely find this useful.

    If you don't mind me asking
    -How long did it take you to do the tool?
    -Are you planning to commercialize the tool in any way?

    1. 1

      Hey @Nakkeeran, thanks for checking it out! Really nice to hear you liked it.

      • I got most of the dev work done in a weekend, the plan was to get it done in 24 hrs which ended up spread across a couple of days.

      • I hadn't planned on this tool being commercialised, but I've been looking at building a tool to help SaaS companies reduce their churn. I though this free tool would be a great way to bring together some of my research into an easy to understand visualisation.

      1. 1

        How do you plan on expanding the product? I feel you have a good start/started in the right point. Maybe worth approach Christoph, he focuses on SAAS in depth http://christophjanz.blogspot.com/

  2. 2

    Love it. It's really cool.

    I noticed if I have a better-than-avergae churn rate, it ends up showing A negative number for how much I'm "losing". You'd probably get to it soon anyway, but I thought I'd mention:

    "Compared to the industry average churn rate of 5.17% you're losing $-44,253 more than expected."

    Really awesome looking tool πŸ’―

    1. 1

      Cheers Merott, glad you like it! 😁

      Thanks for spotting the negative number, I'll tweak the copy tonight to get that looking purrrrddy again.

  3. 2

    It's a solid start - you're right, playing with numbers is kind of fun. What kind of features do you imagine adding?

    1. 1

      Thanks Kevin, I'm working on adding the growth ceiling to the charts/stats so you can see how changes in churn will affect the point where your MRR growth stalls out.

      It's surprising the affect little changes in churn rates can have on your max MRR, so I'd like to highlight that a bit more in the tool.

      Is there anything you'd like to see added?

  4. 1

    its a simple but very effective tool.. the numbers make more sense now :-)