Would love to hear stories and key insights of companies that entered a crowded marketplace very late and were/are successful.
Off the top of my head, these are some I can think of:
- Intercom (there were already so many chat widget software tools)
- ZenDesk (there were already so many helpdesk software tools)
- Slack (there were already many enterprise messaging apps)
- DigitalOcean (cloud computing against AWS/Heroku/Google)
- WhatsApp (Facebook Messenger and 100+ non-SMS chat apps already existed)
- Notion (many software tools to keep docs in one place already existed)
- Loom (many video recording Chrome extensions existed)
Do you agree/disagree with any of the above or have more examples? It'd be interesting to understand what exactly made these companies special amongst the crowd.