Hello fellow Indie Hackers!
I'm Jen– founder, engineer, designer & customer support at Lunch Money!
I've been asked to do this AMA and I couldn't be more excited. I've always been open to sharing my journey and the highs & lows of running a SaaS, either through my blog or my Twitter.
Here's a summary of my journey so far:
- I studied computer engineering in university and started my career as an engineer at Twitter before co-founding a pet health start-up. We went through YC Fellowship #1 and 500 Startups before I eventually burnt out. I then left the company, the US, and all prior constructs surrounding work & personal happiness.
- I traveled around Asia & Europe for 7 months where I sought out new experiences like living and working on a farm in rural Thailand, living in a tiny commune in the French mountains with a local family and working as a waitress and living on a campsite in wine country. I also wrote about how much solo traveling costed me.
- After my travels, I moved back to Toronto (where I was born & raised) and started freelancing for various companies. At the time, my husband and I settled into fully remote work, allowing us to live abroad in Asia during the treacherous Canadian winters and come back to Toronto during the blissful summers & falls.
- While in Fukuoka, I started working on an idea for a new app to solve my own needs for a budgeting and expense tracker that supports multicurrency– thus, Lunch Money was born!
- After 8 months of coding, I launched on Show HN.
- It's been nearly 20 months since then and I've recently reached a milestone of 1000 paying users and $80k ARR!
- I'm still operating as a company of one and I have recently been hiring some contractors on a part-time or project basis. I feel lucky that I'm finally in a position where I absolutely love what I do and I'm proud of the impact that my work has had so far.
- Currently I'm living in Taipei, Taiwan.
If you're interested in diving deeper, do check out my blog! Specifically, the following posts on solopreneurship may be of interest to the Indie Hackers community:
Edit: since I'm operating in GMT+8, I'm off to bed now but will make sure to get to all remaining questions in the AM :) Thanks everyone so far for your questions, kind words and continued support!
Edit 2: Good morning, I'm back and caught up with all the questions so far! Thanks again for all the love 🥰