One of my goals for 2021 was to monetize my blog and newsletter, not to make money (I mean of course) but to see whether it's possible.
Yesterday, I launched the pre-orders for my first online course ever. It's called Learn Programmatic SEO.
Stats after 24 hours:
- 144 pre-orders
- $3,016 in sales
- 77 FREE access coupons shared
- My mind exploded about a dozen times
I tweeted these stats just now.
Here's why I think this really took off:
- I've been writing consistently on my blog since June 2020, and have only missed 1 weekend where I didn't publish.
- I've sent out 32 issues of my newsletter to a total of 564 subscribers. It's a tight community based on value and being real/human, vulnerable and transparent with what's going on in the life of an entrepreneur. I think this resonates with people because we entrepreneurs aren't only about WORK. We have a LIFE too. And that's why I think my newsletter open rates are >50%.
- I focus my content on aspiring entrepreneurs or people who are in the journey, somewhere around my stage or maybe 1-2 steps behind. This is intentional because I'm in a good position to provide actionable advice to them, since I was JUST there not too long ago.
- People on Twitter know me as someone who always cuts the fluff and provides actionable value. I've been doing that since nearly 2 years (started taking Twitter seriously in April 2019).
- I share insights about things I have experienced or learnt by myself. The most recent one was about growing DelightChat from 600 to 240,000 monthly impressions on Google search in 90 days, which got covered on the Webflow blog.
That's it. Now you know my secret!
What particularly blows my mind is, this is a pre-order. I only have an outline and I'm still creating the course. The deadline for me is Jan 31st because I've told EVERYONE they will get the course on Feb 1st, haha (haha?).
If you're in the beginning of this journey (me on June 2020), then here's 2 takeaways for you:
- Pick an audience for whom you want to provide value. It should be someone who you can actually help from your experience. And decide what you want to help them with (if you say everything, that means it's nothing). You have to be specific. Mine is - helping you grow your business, while living a good life.
- Be consistent and keep showing up. Do it for yourself, then do it for others. People will see the consistency and follow you in the long-run.