Inspired by this post:
I thought it will be valuable to share my experience with other indie hackers. I've built a Shopify app that is currently making over $1.3K per month and I'm planning to create another one. I'm going to share my experience through a newsletter. In fact, I've already sent a first email (first ever newsletter in my life!) to 8 valued subscribers 😁
I wrote about why I think it's a perfect choice for an indie hacker to build a Shopify app:
- You can start small. It's enough if your app solves just one simple problem.
- It's a great market. Shopify is growing like crazy. There are already over 1M stores running on Shopify.
- Shop owners are willing to pay. If your solution brings them more money or makes their life easier, then they will be happy to pay for your app. They are already used to a monthly subscription for the Shopify account, and app payments are part of their monthly bill.
- You don't have to care too much about marketing. Shopify App Store is the main distribution channel. It's not easy to get your app listed there, but it's worth the effort.
- It's a really nice development environment. Your app communicates with shops through a REST or GraphQL API. In fact, your app is a micro-SaaS implemented in your favorite language and running on a server of your choice.
What do you think? Do you agree or am I too optimistic? Have you tried building a Shopify app already and gained another or similar perception?
If you are interested in learning more then please sign up for my newsletter