With the major product issues stabilized, the team is steadily shipping user-requested features, squashing bugs, and optimizing our marketing and growth engine.
In particular, it seemed there were considerable experiments underway when we acquired the app. This has been apparent as the marketing site differs from what's in the product, billing plans don't match either product or marketing site, and so on.
Major updates this week:
- Based on a customer call, we added a new content block ("Link Only") which enables users to create a bulleted list of hyperlinks.
- Pricing work is on the way (Pricing V1.5) – Currently our marketing site and billing page is communicating different things to customers, there are some alignments that is needed to be done. As we complete user interviews, we're close to finalizing the new model moving forward. Most excitingly, we expect to be able to raise prices for new customers (existing customers get grandfathered in on legacy prices), while still undercutting our competitors. Win-win!
- In-app we weren't showing premium upgrades to users on lower tiers. We shipped an update to fix this, which is expected to increase upgrades.
- We have pushed out a new set of site changes on the marketing site. Impact to signups from the changes seems to be in a good direction.
- We're still finding and fixing some broken links on the site, along with general SEM tweaks (such as removing /YYYY/MM/DD/ from URL structure and adding 301s)